No announcement yet.

Aminopyralid/manure question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is that the farmer [in our case] is having trouble really getting through his supply chain; so is just making assumptions.

I suppose I'll never know myself, as I'm not close enough to the supply chain to be able to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by glallotments View Post
      It's really strange that aminopyralid problems are suspected of affecting straw as in theory straw shouldn't be affected as it is from cereal crops and ap isn't licensed for use on food crops. Hay is a different matter as it is produced from the grass.

If straw is contaminated then it would seem that the herbicide has been used illegally.
      This backs up your argument!

Aminopyralid Herbicide Residue in Manure Killing Crops

The worrying thing is, if its used on cereal crops, we are eating the bladdy stuff!!!!!!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

to continue on this theme , my muck supplier returned saying his straw supplier had no idea where this contamination could have occured, he could only appologise for the outcome and offered the return of the purchase price for the muck, but as his previous supply of manure has been top quality and inexpensive i refused his offer. to follow on some of the runner beans seem to have got below the manure level and now appear to be trying to grow in a more normal way, also brassica and alliums have done ok.

Comment

New to this forum, but interested to see these posts, as I had the same problem in 2009 after using some horse manure from my neighbour. The problem persisted in 2010 in spite of my efforts at replacing the greenhouse soil, and even affected tomatoes grown in grow bags as I had made drainage holes. No sign of it last year, but I have a new neighbour who has offered me some really good well rotted stuff, a year old, and the garden could do with it. Any thoughts?
          Acanthus

Comment

Do the bean test before you put it on any beds.

Comment

Stuff is active for 2 years or more IIRC so I agree with zazen, do a bean test first
              Last edited by Linnea; 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X