Peanut shells in compost bin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peanut shells in compost bin

I have a black plastic compost bin which is finally full after about a year of trying.
    The bottom of the bin seems to have rotted down well apart from peanut shells which seem to be totally unaffected, and all of them seem to have worked their way down to the bottom.
    I am using recycled beer as an accelerator (thank you Bob Flowerdew) and put everything apart from weeds into the bin, veg peelings, apple cores, egg boxes, tissues, newspaper, compost from flowerpots after plants are removed, all these seem to have integrated themselves into the compost. Why not the peanut shells?
    There are loads of worms and other beasties in the compost so I suppose it is not reaching a high temperature.
    txteditor.

Peanut shells are very woody and take a much longer time to break down. You could crush them up into a powder before adding to the bin so that they are not so obvious. I would still dig them into the soil as they will help break up the ground and improve soil condition
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Testeditor
      I had a fad for eating roasted peanuts in shells and ended up with quite a lot of them and no, they don't break down easily. I shoved them back in the top of the next compost bin and when I saw them again they had got very soft and easily broken up, just dug them in the soil after that.
      Sue

Comment

You can compost weeds, just not the seed heads, or the roots of live perennial weeds like couch/bindweed.

Those you can drown in a bucket for a couple of weeks before adding to the heap, or scorch them on a path for a few days.

Waste not want not
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X