Will it be any good?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it be any good?

Last year we took on allotment.LOTS of dandelions, horsetail (YUK), couchgrass.
    As we had a lot of clearing to do it all went into the same crate and has been topped up ever since.
    I know these dreaded weeds shouldn't be composted, but this pile was mearly a dump to put it somewhere,and wasn't intended to be used as compost.
    The pile has gradually sunk, but has been added to. Will the stuff at the bottom be any good to use as compost or will it best be gotten rid of at the tip?
    We have a green plastic compost bin that we are putting other stuff into now.
    I have read horsetail etc can go on compost after it has steeped in water for a few weeks.
    "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

Use it as a mulch but don't dig it in, then if any weeds/when the weeds grow, it's easy to remove them and drown them in water for a few weeks.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmylou View Post
      dandelions, horsetail (YUK), couchgrass.
      I know these dreaded weeds shouldn't be composted,
      they can (and they are full of nutrients) but must be killed first, either by roasting (this requires a few days of sun) or by drowning (more likely) in a bucket for a few weeks.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

To be honest, your best bet is to turn it all over, get the fresh stuff at the bottom, older stuff on top, it will rot down much faster.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Ok,think I'll get a tub of water to stick the horsetail in, as I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Its popping up alover the place, then I can compost it.
          "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

Comment

I leave all my my Mares tail and couch grass out to dry in the sun then put them in one of my darlics and leave for 2 years to rot down.
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X