Green Cone/anyone got one?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Cone/anyone got one?

When we moved to this house last year we inherited a green cone composter. It was situated in the middle of a very full flowering area. We have since turned this area into a seperate vegetable area. We have left the green cone in place - its fitted tightly below soil level, and have been putting all of our kitchen scraps and waste into it.

As we do not have any instruction manuals we looked it up online and found the following Green Cone

I was wondering if anyone had one of these and if there is anything more we need to be aware of? will it fertilise the soil by filtering into the ground?
    Thanks
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

I had a Green Cone in Brighton. It took meat, fish etc that normal composters don't, so was good for that.

Downsides:
    you have to bury half of it in the ground - I was digging on stones with a hand trowel (!); you don't really get compost as such...most of the waste just turns liquid and drains away into the soil.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes, thats right, its great for being close at hand for all the kitchen scraps. We did not need to fit it but it sits great in the veg plot (I also use it as stool between tasks) I just wondered if it really enriches the soil ( the flowers were beautiful when we moved in) and we can look forward to great veggie crops :-)
      BumbleB

Comment

Yes it will feed the soil,with whatever you put into it.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh thats great - we were right to site the veg patch there then :-)
          BumbleB

Comment

I would want to know what they put in it before I used the ground for veg. Cos you can put animal poo in them.
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Oh we do not have any animals, its not a dog loo, it is for recycling kitchen waste.
              BumbleB

Comment

Did the previous owners have pets....Cos you can put amimal poo in them
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I know what you mean because we wondered what it was when we first came across it.
                  No they did not have any pets either. I think they were very green people and liked the idea of efficient recycling as its like a food dustbin. I suppose it must feed the soil from below after the worms have finished their work. I looked it up online Green Cone but have not seen it in garden centres etc.
                  BumbleB

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X