Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost types

Hi Y,all.

I am in my first year of veggie growing and need some advice on compost. I have started growing growing simple veggies from seed such as cabbages, onions, spinach etc. I am also growing some flowers such as Marigold and Foxgloves etc.

My question is do I need to fork (excuse the pun) out for John Innes seed compost or can I get away with using any old compost or even top soil?

At the moment I am using Multi compost for the bigger seeds and a sieved seed compost for the smaller ones. Is this neccessary as it's costing me a fortune?

Any comments are appreciated

I use the cheapest multi-purpose compost I can find.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I used proper John Innes seed compost the once. Didn't like it.

I use multi-purpose now, for everything.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

top soil will not have the nutriments and may have pests that will eat your seeds. Go for MP Compost.

I wait till 10% off day then stoc up.
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Isn't MP compost to granular and full of bits of twig etc?

I thought I may need a finer mix for smaller seeds. Do you bother sieving it or just use as is?

Comment

I don't use it for sowing seed if it's too coarse. The peat free MP compost from Homebase was very twiggy. I mixed a bit of loam in with it.
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I use MPC for everything (have used about 40 bags this year so far). If I am sowing seed then I sieve it first, the bits then go into the bottom of bigger pots when I'm potting on. Untill last week B&Q was £10 for 3 bags but I think that has now stopped.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X