leaf mould

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf mould

Can I add grass cuttings to the leaves in black bags or would that not work? Was planning to puncture the black bags, give them a good soaking and then leave for a year, which seems to be the general advice.

Do I need to soak them again over the summer? should they be dry, damp, wet?

I've got one of those tumbling compost makers (my best ever 'gift' from Freecycle) which I use to 'finish off' my compost. Am thinking that I might put the leaves in that after the summer and see if they turn into mulch more quickly.

thanks.

I tried to compost garss cuttings-it turned into thick pulp so this year I might use it for mulching

Comment

I would just add the grass cuttings to your normal compost.
      Should be fine as long as there are plenty of "browns" in there as well (i.e. drier / tougher items like cardboard, tough/woody stems, and yes leaves!!) As Coreopsis says it will go horrible if its just grass cuttings on its own.

The leaves will need to stay damp, but I wouldn't think you will need to soak again if they are in bags esp if out on the open where they will get rained on.
      Last edited by Demeter; 26-04-2009, 07:35 AM.
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

You can certainly add a few handfuls of grass clippings to a bag of leaves - it will make it rot quicker. Mix them together well.

Grass on its own is no good at all ... it just turns to foul-smelling clods (I know: I inherited 2 Daleks full of stinky grass clippings when I got this house).
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thanks for all the responses - I think I'll add a bit in and see how it goes. Perhaps I'll soak the grass clippings and multh around my onions with them? All the hand weeding gets a bit dull, eh?

Comment

Onions (and spuds) really like a grass clipping mulch.
            Water the ground first ( a mulch will trap the moisture in )
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by queen of the cobs View Post
              Can I add grass cuttings to the leaves in black bags or would that not work?

thanks.
              Leaf mould and compost are differant things in the way they are produced.

If you want leaf mould you just need leaves, wet in black bags.

For compost you need greens (grass) and Browns (leaves, proonings) plus all your peeling and shredded paper.
              My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X