wood ash

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood ash

hi all,i have a trug bucket full of wood ash from last year,at the moment is a bit wet,it's shelter crumbled lol,but when it's dry
    ,will it be ok to sprinkle some over the onion bed,and will it harmfull if it comes into contact with them,i hear it's good for them as well as fruit bushes,stawberries ext,i wondered if it's also good for shallots,spring onions and garlic's,just wondered if it came into direct contact with the foliage ext,would it cause any harm,if so i will sprinkle it over the compost,thank you
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Should be OK (especially if it has already been wet). Wood ash is slightly alkaline, but I don't think it is strong enough to harm plants, unless you got a LOT of fresh ash onto already-wet foliage, or it clogged the 'pores'.
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

thank you hilary,i might lay it out to dry in the sun tommorow,then i can use it,and claim the trug bucket back lol,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

We heat our house with nothing but wood and use the resulting ash, left in feed bags for a few months, on onions,tomatoes(mixed with dog hairs from the hoover bag) and all fruit bushes. We have good crops from all. You could also put it in the compost bin.

Comment

thank you polly,i put a lot round the fruit bushes and strawberries last year,
          Last edited by lottie dolly; 22-04-2009, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X