X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this leaf mulch/mold?

I've added 'leaf mulch' to the gaps in my spud bed. Is this ok?:

I used this as the leaf mulch:

Does that look like leaf mulch? There is a massive pile of this stiff at the end of the allotment. I hope I've used the right stuf?!

Will it now rot down into the soil? Do I dig what's left of it after the spuds are gone into the ground?

Thanks for your advice, by the way.

The last pic looks like the mulch still comprises intact leaves which means they have not rotted down yet. Leaf mould takes more than a year to form so I'd be inclined to pile it up in a wire cage and leave it. Using it as a mulch is OK though but I think the leaves may get blown away with time.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Ah, I should have said that underneath it is wet, black leaves. I have tried to use as much as the underneath as possible.

I hope I haven't ruined my bed with it....?

Comment

You are not going to ruin a bed with rotting leaves. I know someone will not agree with me, but I think the leaves rot down a lot more quickly spread on or mixed with the soil. The only problem may be it makes a good hiding place for slugs, but as you're growing potatoes, that shouldn't make any difference.
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Slugs like potatoes too! Some are more resistant than others. I grew Sarpo Axona last year next that were untouched by slugs yet another variety, grown next to it was badly eaten.

Back to the leaves, I think what you have done is fine, the leaves should be dragged into the soil by worms. I'd still be collecting as much of the leaf mould as possible though, it's one of the best soil improvers.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X