breaking down compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaking down compost

I started my first ever compost bin in June last year, a shop bought one, i have put in the usual kitchen scraps, grass, shredded newspaper, rabbit waste ie wood shavings, but it does not seem to be breaking down, even at the bottom, the bin is full to the top now, where is it going wrong, it is placed at the bottom of the garden in shade but there was already a home made one next to it with some lovely compost in from the previous owner, i am turning it occasionaly to air it and damped it down once as it seemed very dry! was this a good idea or not, also what do you use your compost for and can a potting compost be made from it? a lot of questions i know but am trying to get into the swing of this veg growing lark
    Last edited by SarzWix; 25-03-2009, 04:53 PM.

It does sound as though the heap has been to dry. Damping it down will not do it any harm. Is the ratio of dry to wet ingrediants about right? Should be enough dry stuff ie. paper, cardboard, shreddings etc. to absorb excess moisture and provide air pockets throughout the heap but not so much that they dry out the heap.

Don't worry too much. Any pile of organic matter will eventually rot down to form a good compost, just that some stuff takes longer than other stuff.

Might be worth moving the heap out of the shade. Getting it warmed up might kick start the bacteria and get things moving.

Hope this is of some help, a little simplistic but it provides the basics. Try a search of the vine. There must be loads of compost advice on here.
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

Archerellie, were there any little worms in it? Lots of little worms, especially pinky red ones, means a nice healthy compost. Sanjo

Comment

What snuffer says! Turn it, water it and/or urinate on it to help it along. Or buy a compost accelerator. The shady site doesn't help as it won't be warmed by the sun; that said my bins are in the shade too but it all rots down eventually.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

are they just garden worms i can dig up and throw on or do you buy them? sorry complete novice

Comment

If your bin is on soil, the worms should find their own way in. I find the 'Dalek' type bins a bit too small and don't retain heat very well so you need to keep them active. Mixing in fresh grass mowings helps, so do nettles (I've got loads of them ). If you've got and old duvets or carpet you could wrap your bin up to insulate it. Try starting a 'wormery' for your kitchen waste. As Capsid said, it all rots down eventually, you just have to be patient. If you are going to grow beans, dig a trench out and line it with plenty of the uncomposted stuff and then put the soil back over it, that should help to keep the roots from drying out.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by archerellie3425 View Post
              are they just garden worms i can dig up and throw on or do you buy them?
              No, compost worms (tiger worms) are different to earthworms, which stay in the earth.
              No need to worry, if conditions are right, compost worms will find their way in and breed.

Ideally, your bin should be warm and damp. Cool shady bins take much longer to rot down.

Try any of these as an accelerator:

wee
              nettles
              comfrey leaves
              borage
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm am waiting for my compost bin to arrive. I was considering placing it directly onto concrete slabs, but now I'm wondering about the worms. Would it be better to place on an earthy patch?

Also, how often should a compost heap be turned?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunflower86400 View Post
                  I'm am waiting for my compost bin to arrive. I was considering placing it directly onto concrete slabs, but now I'm wondering about the worms. Would it be better to place on an earthy patch?

Also, how often should a compost heap be turned?
                  Placing it on soil would be better, yes. You get some liquid out of them, which will stain your concrete. And as you say, worms would like to get in too.

You don't have to turn a heap at all (everything rots eventually) but turning it will make the rotting process quicker.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Put the hose in it and wet it till water starts running out the bottom. Wait a week then dig some of the compost out of the otherbin and mix it in. This will kick start the reaction.

If you can be assed dig it all out mix it up first then put it back in.
                    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Thanks Two Heads and Nog for the tips.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X