No announcement yet.

Am I able to salvage this compost bin?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I able to salvage this compost bin?

I've just inherited an allotment, most of which is in a fair state. However, there are 3 compost bins, and all are in a mixed state. One is still full of weeds, cuttings and kitchen waste, one is empty and the other seems to be full of compacted compost.

Here is the latter:

Am I able to use this compost once I've dug it over, or should I scrap it?

And, do I need to cover the one that is currently rotting down?

Thanks!

dig a bit up and have a good wiff.....if it hardly smells- or smells sweet- then use it!( just bash it about a bit.)

the other one???? I'd cover it to prevent rain washing out goodness- and hep it to warm up a bit quicker ( remember to give it a turn before you cover it.)
    Last edited by Nicos; 17-03-2009, 05:34 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The compost looks nice and dark in there, always a good sign I'd say.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I agree, so long as it's not pongy and when you pick the compost out with a garden fork, when the rubbish falls away, what's left should be really good. May want to decant the latter (in the pic) through a seive or something/off the tines of a fork into the empty bin.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

The bin above is fine. I've dug a little bit of it over and it is soft enough. It's full of weeds, though.....

The other two bins are in a right state. One is currently rotting down, but it looks disgusting. There is tea bags and old kitchen stuff on the top. The thought of digging this is making me feel ill, as does clearing it out. Do I need to do anything to it, or do I just cover it and leave it to rot?

This is the one in a bad shape:

What should I be doing? Do I need to mash it all up with my fork?

Is it ok to put in the 'straw' that is everywhere?

I have sorted the one out in my original post, and covered it as I'm sure someone has stolen some of my compost:

Comment

You just need to counteract the dry stuff with some wet. Grass cuttings would do the job - vegetable peelings. Perhaps add a little water. Have to have the balance between 'green/damp' and 'brown/dry'.

Cx
            Charlie x
            "Erm, if you havn't got anything on that windowsill, can I use the space?"

Comment

I've covered the rotting bin now:
              Compost bin covered:

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo and Dibs View Post
                I've covered the rotting bin now:
                Compost bin covered:
                Yep.......I would say that was well tucked up!!!!!!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The first bin could have been filled with well rotted FYM........that's why it's been nicked!
                  On our allotments, if someone packs in and it is decided to re-let the plot, the vultures (other plot holders) move in and pillage it!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X