John Innes Seed Compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Innes Seed Compost

Thought i'd treat my seeds to some proper growing medium tis year so gave this a go. And what a disappointment

I was expecting it to be quite fine so that the seeds wouldn't have any trouble working their way through but its got too many twigs abd stones for my liking! And it seems to form a crust really easily even afetra lght watering!

I've taken to sieving it now and mixing in some compost.

I can't find anything to recommend it so will save my money next year!

I seem to mind a thread last year, where everyone was complaining about the poor quality of this. But then again, John Innes No2 is a recipe rather than a make isn't it ? If that's the case, no doubt some manufacturers will make a naff poor quality version.
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Hi
      I got some from homebase and it hasn't got any bits in it, seeds yet to grow so fingers crossed.
      Sue

Comment

I had this problem last year, it was full of stones and grit - I was very disappointed with it.
        Bought it from the GC. Won't bother again.

Comment

I'm using Westplus for sowing and I am having a very sucessful germination rate. There is bits in it and its really light but the seeds seem to like it.

I got two big bags from Woolworths before it closed for a quid each. Gotta love a bargain!
          Serene she stand amid the flowers,
          And only count lifes sunny hours,
          For her dull days do not exist,
          Evermore the optimist

Comment

I got a bag of peat free compost from b&q just one bag to start me off! It had 4 dehidrated bricks in the bag. Each brick makes 10 ltrs so thats 40 leters per bag!

when I first got some it was around £2 per bag, I went back the other week and could not beleave my eyes, they were selling it for just 50pence per bag! What a scoop I got some for Redthorn as a thank you for some work he did for me, I got some more for myself as well.

So far my tomao,chilli and pepper early babies are going great guns. the compost is fine and light weight, no big bits or tree trunks in it LOL. I hope they do it next year!!
            Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had it last year and lost everything Id never use it again

Comment

Originally posted by NSB View Post
                I had it last year and lost everything Id never use it again
                NSB Was it John Innes Seed Compost you had last year?
                Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

in the past i always used multipurpose compost for everything because it was more cost effective. this year i am trying seed compost. aldi have some seed and cutting compost in at 69p a bag
                  lovely stuff and all seeds so far germinated

in feb gyo there is a section on homemade seed and potting compost
                  Last edited by greendean; 27-02-2009, 12:26 PM.
                  above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

I thought I'd bump this one rather than start a new one.

I have had major grief with John Innes Seed compost and John Innes No1. I thought it would be great stuff but it seems to be a heavy stodgy gritty mud.

I lost all my cabbage and cauliflower seedlings and when I did an 'autopsy', there was hardly any root formation on most of them, a few had massive primary roots and virtually no side shoots.

I have tried to moderate watering this year, but nothing seemed to drain off and crusts formed on the top which seemed to prevent tiny seeds from germinating properly.

This of course might all be user error and to be honest I'd rather it was, as I'm sure someone can tell me how to prevent it in the future.

At the moment I am using Levingtons Multi-purpose with added John Innes and I riddle this to remove sticks, larger stones and hard wood and everything has thrived in it and more importantly it 'looks right'.

I've chucked all the John Innes in the clay borders.
                    Last edited by Fat Bob; 08-04-2009, 05:46 PM.
                    Gentlemen! - you can't fight in here...this is the War Room!

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Bob View Post
                      I thought I'd bump this one rather than start a new one.

I have had major grief with John Innes Seed compost and John Innes No1. I thought it would be great stuff but it seems to be a heavy stodgy gritty mud.

I lost all my cabbage and cauliflower seedlings and when I did an 'autopsy', there was hardly any root formation on most of them, a few had massive primary roots and virtually no side shoots.

I have tried to moderate watering this year, but nothing seemed to drain off and crusts formed on the top which seemed to prevent tiny seeds from germinating properly.

This of course might all be user error and to be honest I'd rather it was, as I'm sure someone can tell me how to prevent it in the future.

At the moment I am using Levingtons Multi-purpose with added John Innes and I riddle this to remove sticks, larger stones and hard wood and everything has thrived in it and more importantly it 'looks right'.

I've chucked all the John Innes in the clay borders.
                      The John Innes formulae is openly available on the net. I always make my own John Innes type compost because it's very cheap to make if you use your own garden loam as a base.
                      Must admit though that a peat/coir based seed compost is better for seed sowing!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        The John Innes formulae is openly available on the net. I always make my own John Innes type compost because it's very cheap to make if you use your own garden loam as a base.
                        Must admit though that a peat/coir based seed compost is better for seed sowing!
                        Ah, so John Innes is more of a recipe than a brand. I've just checked the bag and the maker was Westland.

It seemed to retain every drop of water I put on it.

Soil fudge.
                        Gentlemen! - you can't fight in here...this is the War Room!

Comment

If find that if I use multipurpose compost seedlings get too leggy. Too many nutrients / additives I guess. I am currently using John Innes No. 1 (from Homebase) mixed with a generous amount of vermiculite with great success.
                          Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

MPC + Vermiculite topping + light watering = 100% germination. Anyone want some "Roma" Tomato plants? I've got sixty
                            When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X