Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my compost diseased?

hi everyone,

i've had a few goes at growing things in un heated propigators in the house so far this year, anything i put in grows a bit and then little black flies appear and the things growing shrivel a bit or just look lanky and not getting any stronger. a couple of the propigator cells have developed fluffy mould type stuff.

has anyone got any advice on starting things off in propigators.

i hope you hear from you soon

annette
    Happy Gardening!

Mould indicates lack of ventilation- or too much humidity.( overwatering maybe???)
    Little flies- hmm- I'd pop your potting compost in the microwave to kill off the fly eggs ( well I WOULD have said that until I read piglets thing on microwaves...put it in the oven on a metal tray before you use it!)

Hope that helps???
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

What sort of temperature are you keeping the propagators at? How much water are you giving them and when do you have lids on them?

Edit - and oh where is your compost from?
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 25-02-2009, 10:26 AM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

i keep the lids on all the time, and i give them a good waterting once in a while, when i think they need it.

thanks for the tim on baking my compost, i'll give that a go to kill off the nasties
        Happy Gardening!

Comment

remove the lids and give them some fresh air ..... i germinate mine with lids on with some heat under (top of boiler) then as soon as they germinate i remove the lids during the day and put on windowsills, then after a week take the lids off completely .... the flies are a pain but don't really cause any problems try putting a sticky pad behind the trays to catch them ....... the shriveling is usually also caused by too much water or lack of ventilation

Comment

I haven't tried this Annette but I read that a sprinkle of Chilli powder on the compost does in the little black flies. They don't do any harm but they are nuisances.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X