Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairy seed compost!

Hi all. I've got an avatar at last!

Has anyone else found that this year, J. Arthur Bowers seed compost contains quite a few small clumps of disturbing unrotted hair?! Not sure what species it comes from. I think it may be human. Have decided not to buy any more and instead am mixing Horizon organic garden compost with hort sand. See how that goes.

Fran

No hair in mine thank goodness. But lots and lots of lumps and twigs, definitely not the same quality as last year. Found a small piece of glass today too!

Cute donkey by the way
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post

Has anyone else found that this year, J. Arthur Bowers seed compost contains quite a few small clumps of disturbing unrotted hair?! Not sure what species it comes from. I think it may be human. Have decided not to buy any more and instead am mixing Horizon organic garden compost with hort sand. See how that goes.

Fran
      Are you sure it's not coir?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post

Fran
        I know what you mean, but it's not human hair, it's shredded organic matter.

Possibly from green waste collections, i am increasingly finding small bits of black plastic in my Arthur Bowers compost and that irritates me more.

It's harmless, plants love it.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi sea sprout - No I know those bits. The ones I mean are definitely hair of some sort!

Comment

Ho, how about e-mailing the company and asking if any staff have gone missing..!!

At the very least ask the company about it, quite intrigued now...

Comment

Hi seasprout - that really got me laughing! I will contact company and see what they say. If I hadn't used it up, I could have sent photos.......

Fran

Comment

Gardening Home | William Sinclair | Gardening advice, tips, J Arthur Bower, New Horizons, plant foods, fertilisers, soil products

These make J Arthur Bowers compost, use the contact us link.

Comment

You know, you really don't expect this sort of standard from a reputable company. A fly by night firm, yes - you know, hair today, gone tomorrow...
                  There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Found a big toe in a bag of compost once....
                    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                      OMG. (Can't help but laugh though.)

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                        wasn't one of yours after a "SHOCK ACCIDENT WITH SPADE"
                        sorry couldn't resist gotta stop buying tabloids
                        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Ok, ok it didn't really happen, but the thought does give opening a bag of John Innes a certain frisson of horror!
                          When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Well no matter how much people say hair breaks down in compost heaps, it doesn't in mine.

One year I kept finding loads of large stones in bags of compost, they were cheap ones though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X