Sharp Sand

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp Sand

I've just bought 5 bags of sharp sand from B&Q - only £1.50ish per bag, to help create an asparagus bed

The strange thing is - this sand is a dark reddy brown sort of colour - not what I was expecting at all. Its a mixture of sand and grit, so its the right sort of consistancy, just an odd colour.

Has anyone ever used this stuff, does is sound like it'll be OK? Its definately sharp, not building sand.

J

Hi
    I'm sure your sharp sand will be fine for the garden.
    The colour and consistency of the sand is usually due to where it has been quarried from.
    I work in a builders merchants - on the delivery notes for the sand it will usually have a depot code on. Apparently where it comes from affects its mixability.
    mmm another random piece of info i thought i would never share.
    for gardening purposes i think it will have no effect - where it has come from as long as you are happy with the consistency
    Last edited by hooraynana; 15-01-2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Hooraynana..... being in the industry, are you able to me why people advise not using building sand? Do they add something strange?

And whilst I'm badgering you for info - what is Silver sand?

Thanks for your help.

J
      Last edited by JimmerG; 15-01-2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Hi
        Silver sand is just really really smooth processed sand - no sharp edges
        It has a low iron content and its typically used for in between driveway brindles and blocks - it can also be used safely in playpits for kids
        I'm guessing you are needing the sand to improve the drainage for your asparagus bed ?..... if so sharp will be fine - silver sand could have made the soil claggy as its smooth - whereas the gritty texture of sharp should do the job !
        Hope this helps...
        I wish i had the patience to grow asparagus !!!

Comment

oh and building sand has a clay content so people tend to steer clear of this

Comment

I used a load of the "red" sharp sand to make up my new raised strawberry beds and the plants seem to be doing fine.
            I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Thankyou both for your help with this - its been most informative.... I shall use my wierd red sand without concern!

Comment

What vegetables would need the soil to be more sandy? I've heard/ read about certain plants that need sharp sand mixed in the soil, but but cant remember which ones! My soil isn't quite clay, but is kinda heavy...
                http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
                  What vegetables would need the soil to be more sandy? I've heard/ read about certain plants that need sharp sand mixed in the soil, but but cant remember which ones! My soil isn't quite clay, but is kinda heavy...
                  Carrots and parsnips or any veg with a long pointy tap root! Sand also deters slugs as they don't like it on their slimy bodies!
                  Seakale and beetroot woulsd also benefit as they were originally seashore plants growing in sandy soil!
                  I'm sure there are loads more but I think sand will give benefit to most soil types!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger!

Think I'll go by B&Q on Saturday and get some sharp sand too then - can go on my carrot and beetroot paches and round plants to keep the nasty slugs away, would also be good for making paths over my little plot!

Comment

Jenegade,

I find sand is most important for improving drainage for perrenial plants that could rot in standing water - I'll soon be creating permanent asparagus and rhubarb beds, and I've got rather clayey soil.

If you've got heavy soil, a dose of sand would certainly help your cause by braking up the consistancy and making easier for you and the plants to handle.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Jimmer! I bought some sharp sand at the weekend to mix in, think I will need more though! It was quite red like yours, obviously comes from the same place being from B&Q.

Comment

New to allotmenting in sunny and sandy north part of Isle of Man. soil sample into water mix is separating out into 50%sand, 45% silt and then a tiny layer of (possibly) clay. The rest is still in suspension three days later. so we don't need to buy sand...

Comment

What's the deal with horticultural sand? I thought that was what you had to buy for gardening.
                            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

A good marketing opportunity. Sharp sand with grit....and a nice label.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X