Chicken Pellets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Pellets

I have seen these mentioned a fair bit on the vine, but haven't used them as i have a supply of poop from my mum, well her chickens, but you know what i mean.

however i was wondering last night about commercial chicken pellets, labelled as organic, but......where does that amount of poop come from?

is this a by-product of battery farming?
    and if it is, how do people feel about using it?
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

It's a good point to raise. Not all chicken manure is approved by the Soil Association (approved for good husbandry and humane treatment of the animals), but this one is: Rooster organic fertiliser manufacturer & suppliers UK
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

actually it's not something i'd thought about either ....... at a guess, the pellets you buy in the shops probably is from battery hens, cos thats the easiest source of poo without bedding, or do they pile it up like horse poo till it rots ?? hmmmmm thankfully i shall now have my own supply of poo, so won't need to buy any.

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII
        ...however i was wondering last night about commercial chicken pellets, labelled as organic, but......where does that amount of poop come from?....is this a by-product of battery farming?
        Most of the stuff labelled organic is just that, made from organic constituents - it is NOT certified as an organically grown/manufactured product as per Soil Association guidelines. So unless it says otherwise (price is a giveaway most times!) it will be from battery chickens.

Rooster pelleted chicken manure is great, but is very difficult to buy retail - I rang the company and they say they only sell in quantity now. It will now be found sold as Greenvale organic plant food (it has added seaweed).

Online it can be purchased from the Organic Gardening Catalogue or Tamar Organics

Also found that Pennine Organic's supply Soil Assoc / HDRA organic certified chicken manure pellets, but I've not found a supplier yet.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Good work SBP.

Is the normal stuff really from battery farms? I'm shocked. I thought the label 'organic' would definitely rule that out. Sneaky b@st@rds. Glad I've got my own supply!
          Resistance is fertile

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X