Sweetcorn in the compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetcorn in the compost?

Just want to know if the big stems will compost down as they are or if they need chopping into small bits first?

Thanks

janeyo

I usually shred them first. Must admit I haven't tried putting them in whole.
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

i usually go over anything big with the lawn mower, even hedge trimmings, they break down much quicker than leaving them whole,

Comment

They will rot down eventually. I would love a shredder but can't justify the expense so just cut mine up with secateurs. Compost definitely does rot down better when chopped up into small pieces.

Comment

I chop stuff up, murder on the hands though. Not sure what hubby will say if I kill the lawnmower chopping stuff for the compost
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Hi all, im new to this but not to the allotment instead of cutting them up i dig a trench and bury them the same as i do with the Broad beans when they have finished they will have well rotted by next season

Comment

I've actually got sweetcorn seedings growing in my compost bin at the mo from a couple that went bad from the shop. Didn't get a chance to grow any this year!!

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                I chop stuff up, murder on the hands though. Not sure what hubby will say if I kill the lawnmower chopping stuff for the compost
                if it's a good rotary one it should be fine, mines 4 years old now and other than needing its blade sharpening it's working fine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X