Is it me or the bokashi?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me or the bokashi?

I got my first bokashi bin and started using it yesterday. The guy told me to be sure the lid is securely closed, but, even though I have been doing that, the lid seems very light to me and very easily opened. I'd have thought it would have the holding strength at least of a Tupperware-type container, but it seems to open much easier than that.

Other than that, it was a joy to drop the peelings in without leaving the kitchen.

I'd like just to confirm that this cover-thingy-closure is the same for others and that it will keep it anaerobic. I'd appreciate if any bokashi users would let me know - I just want to be sure that I didn't get the only duff bokashi bin!
    Last edited by maytreefrannie; 08-10-2008, 12:34 PM.
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

I felt the same way about the lids. Mine is just outside the back door with a brick on it - just to be on the safe side! When I had more space it was indoors and it seems to work exactly the same with or without the brick!
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Mine's not as tight as a tupperware type but it definitely clunks down and you can feel each corner sealing. Basically you'll know if it's not sealing properly as it'll smell and it won't look right. Make sure you don't let air gaps form within your waste too as this can have a detrimental effect.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks for your help - I think I might try the brick idea - also, I thought it had to be kept indoors away from the sun, but as it works for you, Comfreyfan, I think I might move it outside the back door (kitchen is already pretty crowded).

Also, I'll check the corners as you say, Alison; thanks for that tip about the smell, I'll know it's OK as long as it's not smelly.

Comment

I suppose it may depend upon which make you have. Mine are made by Blackwall (I think), and the lid is quite tight. As Alison said, not as tight as Tupperware though.
          I was more worried about the big air space left above the level of food as it was filled up slowly, so I made a blanket to lay over the top of the actual food. All I used was clingfilm but folded over about five times to give it some substance. Make it big enough to turn up the sides as well because the Bokashi bin gets bigger the higher up it goes (at least mine does). So the oversized clingfilm pad can accommodate this.
          Mine is kept in the kitchen and took about a month to fill and has been going for about 5-6 weeks now. It has no smell at all, apart from a slight vinegar smell when opened. No smell at all when closed.

With regards the juice that comes from the tap: Mine didn't produce any in the first month but decided to wait until I was on holiday (last week) to start and leaked from the naff tap onto the kitchen floor. Luckily this juice had only a slight vinegar smell and was not bad at all. Has only produced a few hundred ml so far. Have applied petroleum jelly (Vaseline) around the tap joint and that seems to have sealed the leak.

Flytrap

P.S. I only put food in the Bokashi bin that cannot go directly onto the compost heap so don't know if putting e.g.veg peelings or fruit cores etc. would change the fluid amount or smell levels.

Comment

I'm the same as you Flytrap but a friend of mine who lives in a flat and therefore doesn't have a compost heap puts all her organic waste in and seems to get a lot more juice off it, suppose veggies have a lot of water content.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Flytrap View Post
              Flytrap

P.S. I only put food in the Bokashi bin that cannot go directly onto the compost heap so don't know if putting e.g.veg peelings or fruit cores etc. would change the fluid amount or smell levels.
              The compost heap is just that - a heap - OH has put loads of branchy cuttings on it (over a few months), also he's been putting coal ash on it last winter - this means it will take a few years to rot down and I think the coal ash upsets the balance.

This is why all the stuff, even raw peelings, is going into the bokashi - I'm thinking of getting a proper compost bin (as soon as the 'heap' is somewhat reduced or disposed of or whatever).

Thanks for all comments and help.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X