I've made compost!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've made compost!

Thrilled to bits as the manky old slimy mess I inherited and painstakingly moved and turned and added browns to has made beautiful compost! Lots of lovely little pink worms in it too. Took from the end of jan to now.

Funny what pleases me these days! Am all smiley cos I made compost! Cheered me up a treat

janeyo

just got to decide which of my beds deserves the magic stuff now!

well done .... it's a good feeling innit ..........I've just made a new compost bin just gonna go and get some paint now, then transfer the old compost heap into it, hopefully some of it will be ready too gonna use mine in the new fruit patch, that will magically spring up when i've been to Lidl on thursday
    Last edited by lynda66; 07-10-2008, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Hi

Can i just ask a quick question about compost. Do you need worms in it to process it quicker, or can you start a compost heap without said worms? I am thinking about starting one but dont know how to start really, i just heard mention of worms.

Comment

if you put the bin directly on the soil, the worms will find their own way in ..... you can always chuck them in when you find them when you're digging too

I made heaps the last few yers, just in an empty corner of the garden, covered with a couple of bin bags ...... this year i made one out of wire mesh, lined with bin bags .....and i've just made a new one from pallets or you can often get the big plastic ones cheap from your local council.

oh just seen where you live .... so dunno about the council lol
        Last edited by lynda66; 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Compost doesn't need worms, the stuff will rot without them due to the action of countless bacteria and other invertebrates. Whenever I lift the lid there are lots of woodlice and centipedes but most is done by things you can't see.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by where2start View Post
            Can i just ask a quick question about compost. Do you need worms in it to process it quicker
            You don't need worms at all, but just you try to stop them getting in

You actually get tiger/brandling worms in compost, earthworms tend to stay in the earth.
            You can buy them from angling shops if you must.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

GW did a wheelbarrow wormery this week, which i am going to adapt to a big tub and give it a go, worms seem to have moved into my garden in droves over the last few weeks due to all the buckets on the lawn, every time i move a bucket, there are a dozen worms underneath.
              Vive Le Revolution!!!
              'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
              Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I have two large compost bins made from pallets which work well. Prior to this, I just chucked all my vegetable waste into a heap in the corner of my plot and that worked well too.

The compost bins are a bit tidier, that's all!
                Last edited by Snadger; 02-11-2008, 07:46 PM.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
                  due to all the buckets on the lawn, every time i move a bucket, there are a dozen worms underneath.
                  are the buckets on the lawn cos the sky is leaking???

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                    are the buckets on the lawn cos the sky is leaking???
                    Yep!!

and all that loverly water goes to waste otherwise, cos i am mid terrace i have no downpipe out the back, so I collect it in buckets to go in the water butt which wont fit near the downpiope out the front

tis one way of getting rid of all the grass though the wormies are churning the whole thing up so I should be able to dig it over nicely in the spring and add some compost.
                    Last edited by BrideXIII; 02-11-2008, 10:06 PM.
                    Vive Le Revolution!!!
                    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

lol, and there was me trying to be funny actually is a good idea ...... i really must get a water butt sorted, just in case we ever have another drought.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X