Wee wee on compost smell?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wee wee on compost smell?

I have read many times about the benefits of wee to get compost heaps going.
    Firstly does it really make that much difference?
    Secondly, does it make the heap smell? I rather like the smell of my compost heap at present, quite fruity. Would hate to take the lid off and get a waft of public toilet/subway. That smell makes me want to vomit.

i've wee'd on my compost once a week for ages, and to be honest i haven't noticed a subway smell, just the normal rotting mouldy greens smell, same as normal ...and i do think it works, my compost is still hot, and breaking down.

Comment

Only had my compost bin (dalek type) for about 3 weeks and decided to give it some attention this afternoon. So have just been out with my large garden fork and turned it all over, to mix everything in well and get some air in there. I was surprised at how much it had compacted down. It did feel warm and was full of insects, including an ants nest by the look of it. Strange how some things looked half rotted down and some other clippings looked as fresh as when they were put in a couple of weeks ago.
      Anyway, all mixed up and looking good now and poured some dilute urine on the top for good measure. It's all very fascinating I must say.

Comment

Yes wee does help and no it doesn't smell, it just decomposes the way nature intended. You only get the subway smell in subways and that's because of the concrete, not much in the way of decomposing organisms around there.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
          ........................You only get the subway smell in subways and that's because of the concrete, not much in the way of decomposing organisms around there.
          There's a few decomposing organisms in our local subway.........usually wearing hoodies!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I get my boyfriend to wee on the compost, it's so much easier than me trying to do it
            Basically, it's just an activator, like nettles or elderberries.

Comment

I gave my OH a clear plastic squash bottle to wee into this weekend. He duly did so but left it sitting on the kitchen counter. Eeeow!

Comment

Originally posted by Flytrap View Post
                I have read many times about the benefits of wee to get compost heaps going.
                Firstly does it really make that much difference?
                Not only does it do your garden good, but you will be saving a lot of drinking-quality water that would have been used just to flush away some wee.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It certainly does work. I've poured some onto grass cuttings, if you return a few days later you can see where the urine was poured by making the grass rot faster.
                  Last edited by Capsid; 16-09-2008, 05:07 PM.
                  Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. Wee it is then.

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Not only does it do your garden good, but you will be saving a lot of drinking-quality water that would have been used just to flush away some wee.
                    Done my bit for the planet by pouring one wee on the compost heap and also peeing in the woods on a long walk after going to the pub the other day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X