compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compost

I have recently acquired a compost bin from my local council. Now ive stood it on plastic sheeting, should i have done that, or should i have stood it on my grass. I turn my compost once ever two wks using a broom handle, i also put some propriatory compost speeding up granules in it each time. Is this all the right things to be doing. cheers judith.

Hi Judith, your compost bins would be best standing of earth if poss that way worms and all the other critters necessary for creating good compost can come and go easily. Turning your compost is good. Personally I don't buy compost accelerators I use nettles, comfry, wee or whatever I can get my hands on! Happy composting!
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Hi Megans-mum
      I would put the compost bin on the ground to allow the creepy crawlies and worms to get in an assist the breakdown and aeration of material.
      I dont bother with buying composting granules. I add some diluted wee and that works wonders. Our wee is an excellent activator and dont cost a penny! No pun intended
      Adding nettles or comfrey leaves is excellent to.
      Keep up the good work with getting the oxygen in there. Make sure you get the balance of green and brown material right and a bit of moisture and you will fab compost in no time.
      I would also that as we are moving into the colder months that I cover my bins with old carpet or similar to assist keeping the warmth in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X