Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100% cotton clothing in the compost bin.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% cotton clothing in the compost bin.

My wife is 'forcing' me to throw away my favorite shorts. They are all ripped and faded but I like them
    I've heard that cotton (and wool) clothing can be composted as they are natural products.
    Has anyone here actually done this? Should they be cut up into pieces or just chucked in? And do they break down easily or very slowly?

Cheers,
    Flytrap

I've read that cotton is fine for composting - but old cotton clothes make good dusters/cloths and maybe they could give some service in that capacity before they get put in the compost bin - that would mean they'd probably be already cut up. Not sure how slowly cotton breaks down.

I've heard on a TV programme at some stage that old woollens make good covers for the compost, to help heat it up.
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I've put cotton clothes on the heap.
      Obviously, the smaller something is, the quicker it will decompose. So, cut your shorts into small pieces.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi
        Had an old cotton nightdress which I cut up and added to the heap but the broderie anglaise trimming...I was picking that out of the compost for ages... so would advise to not add heavy seams, trimmings etc.
        Sue

Comment

We just had a look at our "over a year old" bin & discovered lots of socks!!I'll prob just take them out & put on the new one!I'd agree with TS's & cut them up into los of little pieces!
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

i use old towels in my fish filter, then when they become too grotty and holey i put them in the compost, from experience, they take about a year to completely break down.

Comment

What about new fabrics? My friends give me scraps from their quilting and I use the batting scraps to stuff dog beds and the fabric scraps that are big enough to make small quilt blocks. But I am wondering if I can use the smaller shreds of fabric in my compost? I am worried about the dyes in the fabrics. I always wash my new fabric, but I know a lot of my friends don't wash theirs. If I was going to use their shreds, I could wash them first by putting them in a net laundry bag. I really HATE to put stuff in the garbage if I can find a way to use it. I'm a Rabid Recycler--most of my friends think I'm pretty crazy.

Comment

I've been composting fabric for a few years ~ when I say composting I mean putting it into the compost bins. Then fishing it out when I turn the bins. It's not rotting down

Now I donate fabric scraps (I'm a dressmaker) to my local school for their craft lessons
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I don't put cotton fabrics into the compost bin any more as it seems to take forever to rot down. I make rag rugs and wall hangings from old material so use up a lot of stuff that way (like bShillinger with the quilting scraps). There's not a lot left over. I'm also a spinner and any waste sheep's fleece I compost - that seems to rot down faster.
                  I do hate throwing stuff away though if it can be recycled.
                  Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

You definitely can do but I never have - a friend of mine chucked a pair of her husband's underpants in their bin and all that remained by the next year was the elastic.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Flytrap View Post
                      My wife is 'forcing' me to throw away my favorite shorts. They are all ripped and faded but I like them

Cheers,
                      Flytrap
                      put yer foot down and keep them matey.

Comment

Well washed cotton underwear (minus the elastic parts, and cut up into shreds) disappeared totally in my compost heap, I am pleased to say.
                        No wonder my OH used to call them 'shreddies'
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X