Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composting wine corks

Hi I'm new to composting.
    Had a bottle of wine last night (as you do). Just wondered if the natural cork would break down fast enough in my dalek type compost bin? Don't get many wine bottles with corks these days but shame to put into landfill if they will compost down quick enough. Anyone here compost their corks?

Thanks.

Cork is tree bark so very woody and slow to compost. That said I'd cut it up into smaller sizes and add to the compost.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Or, grow your own grapes and use them as mulch!

Comment

Or save them up and make a Christmas wreath like wot LadyWayne is doing. She was shown how to on a "perfect Christmas" course she and a friend attended at Le Manoir au Quait Saisons last year.

We've got a carrier bag full to bursting of them!
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I throw them into my compost bin. When I sift it, I just put anything uncomposted and lumpy back in again for another go
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I put the natural cork ones into the compost bin and the plastic ones on top of any garden canes so I don't poke my eye out on them.

It's the only reason I drink wine of course - for the corks :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
              I put the natural cork ones into the compost bin and the plastic ones on top of any garden canes so I don't poke my eye out on them.

It's the only reason I drink wine of course - for the corks :-)
              What's your excuse for screw top wine bottles?
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

"... the plastic ones on top of any garden canes so I don't poke my eye out on them"

I like that idea. How do you make a decent cane-sized hole in them?
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
                  What's your excuse for screw top wine bottles?
                  Good one Mark - I just have to put those down to research and move on to the next one (hic)

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    "... the plastic ones on top of any garden canes so I don't poke my eye out on them"

I like that idea. How do you make a decent cane-sized hole in them?
                    I drill into them very carefully with a drill slightly smaller than the cane diameter so that it's a tight fit. An electric drill at low revs or a hand drill will do the job easily.

Comment

I'll get on to that right away. No wonder most gardeners have such a happy view of life!
                      Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                      So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

To avoid having to make a decision about what to do with wine corks, I've just opened a 5 litre box of wine instead.

Comment

i use them when i run out of broken crocks for the bottom of my pots.

Comment

I have oodles of old corks as I could not bear to put them in the bin. I am
                            a recycler to the core. I love the idea of making a xmas wreath and using them for
                            crocks.
                            I had the idea of making a cork and pebble mosaic and (standing them upright) half submerging them in concrete. Somehow I think there is a practical problem with this idea. It would have broken up a boring slab path down the garden and be quite bouncy to walk on!
                            p.s. I dont even drink!! It is the fault of my other half.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X