Moss in compost bin?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moss in compost bin?

Can anyone tell me if you can put moss in the compost bin, as we are raking loads off our lawn and i`m putting in the Green recycle bin, but fill the bin up as soon as it is emptied, so wondering if it can go in the compost bin.

Hi Maxine,

I would think that it would be fine but others may have a different opinion.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I put moss from lawn rakings in the compost bin, but have found that it takes quite a while to rot down.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Even dead uncomposted moss would be a good soil additive and help with water retention in a sandy soil I would guess? A bit of lime added to it may accelerate the composting process!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Line your hanging baskets with it, maybe?
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

i add moss to mine, never had a problem, though theres not much doesn't go on my compost bin

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
              Line your hanging baskets with it, maybe?
              Different sort of moss. Lawn rakings don't work very well in hanging baskets
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

"Different sort of moss."

Bother! I'll remember that. Not that I have any moss in my lawn <Whistles!>
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

you can have some of mine

actually my back lawn is ok, i've sorted it this year, but theres tons down the side of the house, but nothing else grows there anyway, so at least, i can just cover it and put gravel down

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X