uses for mushroom compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uses for mushroom compost

im about to get my hands on some spent mushroom compost and was wondering the best uses for it. primarily i want to try and get mushrooms from it. i have 3 large polystrene boxes formally used for transporting seafood and they have lids. question is should i fill them up cover with lid and just wait. any advise would be welcome.

other advantages in using this compost in the garden would be good to.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

I dont know about the polystyrene boxes Hawthorns but I think they might work. I used to use mushroom compost in my greenhouses when I had them and got a huge crop of enomous mushromms from it.

I think that with the boxes the moistur levels might be a problem.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I think it's quite limey so it should be ok for veg purposes. Dress your brassica beds with it, maybe?
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
        I dont know about the polystyrene boxes Hawthorns but I think they might work. I used to use mushroom compost in my greenhouses when I had them and got a huge crop of enomous mushromms from it.

I think that with the boxes the moistur levels might be a problem.
        so would you put the boxes in the grenhouse with lids off. at the mo i have them in shed with lids on.
        my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

My Dad swore by it as a soil conditioner,but he had heavy clay,doesn't add much in the way of nutrition apparently.

Comment

For better or worse, have just put 30 sacks onto my barren back garden to add something, anything to the soil, or rather lack of!
            Will dig it in over next few days into the few inches of existing soil then take it from there - this will be my first exploits into flowers, not veg, so will learn by my mistakes methinks!
            Bernie aka ddl
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X