Sheep manure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheep manure

Does anyone mix sheep manure into their compost?
    Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
    - Aristotle

I have done, but as I don't get much of it, what I would do is put it in a hessian sack with some nettle leaves and/or comfrey and steep it in a bucket for a couple of weeks. The resulting juice will pong (BOY does it pong!!) but your veggies will love it when diluted as liquid feed.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

We use it with cow muck - composted for a year.

Some interesting sites..

http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

Soil Conditioning

Quote ..."Nitrogen in sheep manure takes time to mineralize and become available and only about 25% of the nutrients in the sheep manure will be available in the first year. After the first year, more of the nitrogen will be available."
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for those tips Birdie Wife and Nicos ... there's lots of nettles around here ...
        (sorry, but a composting novice) ... do I need water in the bucket ???
        Lass

- Aristotle

Comment

Thanks Nicos ... 2 informative sites ....... I've added to my favourites ...

anyone got an elephant? .......... lol
          Last edited by leicestershirelass; 23-05-2008, 11:09 AM.
          Lass

- Aristotle

Comment

I think Wayne's got one!!!!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...eSe6k/610x.jpg
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I used it neat last year to grow tomatoes and courgettes. Worked a treat (it was old stuff) but sadly the slugs loved it too.... This year however as I was planting in a pumpkin plant I noticed that it was absolutely seething with worms, I couldn't get the trowel in without giving them a bisectomy ! So I reckon this year it is the equivalent of very rich soil, and can be used neat, rather like an old compost heap.
              My cunning plan this year is to help renovate an old Scottish black house that is being done up locally, and pinch some of the several tonnes of sheep manure that has built up inside it over the course of many years. Once it has been lying for five years, you don't have to worry about nasty organophosphate sheep dip residues still being there ( according to the Soil Association, so I believe) and hey presto, you have stuff that makes commercial tomato food look wimpish by comparison. And of course you can always put some in water to make a really good "plant tea" feed... I don't think I would use it neat as is though, might be worth checking the acidity. My test of any soil tends to be, are the worms happy ?
              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Just felt I should warn....Pregnant women shouldnt have any contact with sheep or their fresh by-products.
                Tammy x x x x
                Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

There is a West Country saying "A sheeps fart is worth an 'osses turd"

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                    There is a West Country saying "A sheeps fart is worth an 'osses turd"
                    You must mix with some dodgy characters,I've never heard that one and I lived in Devon for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Finedon.Dandy View Post
                      Just felt I should warn....Pregnant women shouldnt have any contact with sheep or their fresh by-products.
                      Especially risky at lambing time, but most of the dangerous infections, it is possible to develop immunity by exposure (when not pregnant of course), and anyone who has worked with the same flock of sheep in the past may well be immune to any infections that are present. At lambing time, those who do the lambing work may carry infections on their work clothes until laundered, or on their person until after a thorough shower/bath, so living in the same house may also be risky to those not immune.
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X