to compost or not to compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to compost or not to compost?

The paths between my beds at the lottie are grass and weeds. I know not to chuck the roots or seeds of perennial weeds in the compost but how's about the leaves in any mowings? Is it ok to compost them or should I just get rid?
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

compost what comes out of the mower,we have prunus trees in the home garden,the dark red leaves,and it's fine in the compost,because the leaves will help to stop the grass from clogging together,you could always add some torn up news paper with it,then give it a drink to wet the paper,
    Last edited by lottie dolly; 16-05-2008, 04:11 PM.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

As Lottie dolly says, it's best to have a mixture of brown and green matter in the heap to stop it either becoming too dry or too wet!
      Everyone makes such a song and dance about composting whilst if you chuck all organic matter, weeds and all, into a heap in the corner, eventually you will get useable compost! The only thing to avoid are cooked meats which will attract vermin!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Leaves and grass clippings are fine (the only thing I would avoid like the plague is bindweed as this roots itself everywhere). You'd never think it was related to Morning Glory which is notoriously hard to germinate and get growing.

Comment

What I was asking was is it ok to compost the leaves of perennial weeds such as dock that may be present in the grass mowings?
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Hmm, I've put in some bindweed today & yester day . . should I take it out? Or will it be ok if i chop it up?

Comment

If the weeds haven't set seeds yet, I don't think there is any problem for you to use in the compost... if you want you can also let them dry out completely before. I did that with some binweed and it does look like they are really dead!! (no new growth whatsoever)
              I actually turn weeds straight into the soil when they are still young, I'm always after a bit more of organic matter !

Comment

Originally posted by armadillo View Post
                Hmm, I've put in some bindweed today & yester day . . should I take it out? Or will it be ok if i chop it up?
                NEVER CHOP BINWEED
                every little piece makes a new plant! dried them out under the sun and make sure they are really, really dried dead

Comment

Burn the bindweed and put the ashes on the compost heap. Or put it in the garden rubbish collection sack on bin day. It's evil!!
                  Tori

Comment

the only thing you can do with bindweed is to chuck it a bucket of water and let it rot. If you put it onthe compost heap it will just continue to grow and you will never get rid of it. It's a real surviver. Other perennial weed leaves are ok as long as they haen't got seeds on as these will grow again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila Dodds View Post
                      the only thing you can do with bindweed is to chuck it a bucket of water and let it rot. If you put it onthe compost heap it will just continue to grow and you will never get rid of it. It's a real surviver. Other perennial weed leaves are ok as long as they haen't got seeds on as these will grow again.
                      Sheila, does this mean that if you let it rot in water it's Ok then to put it on the compost heap or on the garden? I've hacked out two big bin bags of it this week and now I don't know what to do with it!

We don't have a 'green' collection here and outdoor burning isn't allowed (I think).

The worst of it is that I haven't got all the bindweed out - has anyone got any ideas?
                      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes, rot the bindweed down in a bin/water butt until the liquid stinks & you can no longer see anything that resembles bindweed. Pour it on your compost heap, then immediately leave the premises (it stinks like pig sh!t)

Or, if we had any sun, you can dry the bindweed in the sun, on a paving slab or similar, until it's brown & crispy dead. Then add to your compost heap.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Two Sheds - thanks for your advice - it's nicely clear and understandable.

Thanks again.
                          My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                            Two Sheds - thanks for your advice - it's nicely clear and understandable.
                            Ha! that makes a change
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you have a recycling center, that used to be called the council tip, they'll take any weeds for their green waste because apparently their compost heaps heat up to 80C plus, and kill any weeds off.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X