Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• claggy clay like soil ...

hi guys

just been diggin over my veg patch and in certain areas the soil is really heavy and claggy, is the best thing just to dig in some compost or is there anything else I can do to improve the soil ?

There is a product called clay breaker but I haven't used it and you should apply it in autumn. For now compost is your best option.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Well rotted manure helps break up clay soil, but should be added in autumn for best results. Could you leave the really claggy bit for this summer and work on it in the autumn/winter ready for 2009? I have also added sharp sand but have been told that this is not as effective long term as the particles sink into the clay without breaking it up.

I have built (along with most others on the allotment site) a number of raised beds filled with imported soil/compost as the soil is very heavy clay.
      Julie

Comment

I got my lottie last july, the soil is heavy clay. Last year after an initial digging over in the autumn I covered the beds with cardboard and then either manure or compost. This year I have been amazed at how much good it has done, the soil is much more workable. Will be doing the same again this autumn.
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Its simply a case of adding more organic matter each year and letting nature and time works its magic. We're on clay and in just 2 years we've seen big changes in the soil structure - but we take the view that allotments are long term projects and we'll keep adding the manure and compost - it will be interesting to see what its like in 10 years!
          'People don't learn and grow from doing everything right the first time... we only grow by making mistakes and learning from them. It's those who don't acknowledge their mistakes who are bound to repeat them and do no learn and grow. None of us are done making mistakes or overflowing with righteous wisdom. Humility is the key.'
          - Thomas Howard

Comment

We also have clay and I keep it covered with a straw mulch as well as adding as much humus as I can. The straw keeps the soil nice and damp and makes it workable. Where it dries out it sets like concrete. The straw gradually rots down and the worms pull it in to the ground. At the end of the season I dig in the straw and replace it for the winter which also helps the gound not to be panned by the winter rain.

After even one year of this treatment the difference is quite amazing.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X