Shredded papers...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shredded papers...

We've just purchased a paper shredder at home, and I was wondering if the results could be used in the compost bins? Generally it would be papers / envelopes with personal details that cannot go in the normal recycling bins - I'd much prefer to recycle it in my compost bins.
    What do others do? Would appreciate your views on this.
    thanks
    Marion

It can definitely go in the compost bin. In fact they don't like shredded paper for recycling as the fibres have been chopped so short it can only be recycled into low grade paper.

When you put it in the compost, mix it up a bit with the other stuff so you don't just get a big wodge of shredded paper in a lump

Comment

I have put shredded paper in my compost bin and it seems to go very well. I always take the plastic windows out of envelopes before shredding and I don't shred shiny paper.
      So, go for it, I say.
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I burn all of ours on the fire at home, they are a good starter fuel source.
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Mine go as animal bedding, then they to the compost heap. But they certainly are good for the compost anyway. Mix in well as suggested.

Comment

I compost my shredded paper. It degrades slower than the veg and helps aerate the compost/reduce fermentation. Works very well! I'm lazy and just add it!

Comment

I've been composting it for a year.

Comment

Thank you all! I'll be happily shredding and composting like a good 'un now

Comment

ive used it to line my runner bean trenches too it helps retain water
                  The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I put shredded paper in the bottom of my kitchen compost caddy thing every time I empty it, that way the paper gets mixed in with the kitchen waste

Does anyone know if you can use shredded paper as mulch??
                    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I have been using shredded paper in the compost for over a year, with good results.
                      This year, I have already emptied the compost bin with last years waste and it was really lovely crumbly compost. As long as you mix it with green waste, I think your on to a winner.

Good Luck
                      http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

what a great idea, thanx for info

Comment

Can I ask a sllightly general compost question on hte back of this?

I have lots of veg peelings and a certain amount of coffee grounds in mine, but very little grass clippings (and that is only reducing in amount). I also have a ready supply of shredded paper to add.

Are the veg peelings greens or browns? I know the paper would be browns, and I had always thought coffee/tea were browns too. So do I need more greens of some sort and what, apart from grass clippings, might that consist of?

Comment

Veg peelings are greens, though I'm not sure about coffee. If you've got enought shredded paper with the veg peelings, then I think your doing well.

Steven
                            http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Veg peelings are greens. Browns are material that is woody.

If you have a mind to, then urinating on the shredded paper would accelerate the composting.
                              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X