Cheap compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap compost

Bought some multipurpose peat-free compost from a garden store (chain) a few weeks ago for potting up plants, something like 2 for £5 which I thought would be ok, but in fact it was quite rough and very dry. I bought compost locally at £3.75 which I know was more expensive, but it's really dark and moist and feels much better than the chain store stuff. Just goes to show there's compost and compost, and you get what you pay for.

I bought 60L in a small compressed block from tesco's for £1.80!

It's really good stuff but when I went back it had all gone and they haven't restocked.

I think it must have been a health and safety decision because there was a warning on the block about the weight which far exceeded what you expected for the size of the block. In fact I remember struggling to get it into the trolley and asking to have the barcode checked in-situ! If I'd done a risk assessment I would have had it withdrawn from the shelves myself, hopefully to my allotment!

Wish I'd bought more now when I had the chance!
    Last edited by Snadger; 26-04-2008, 11:32 AM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

was it waterlogged Snadger?
      I suspect not only the weight of it made it a H & S risk there is also the increased possibility of pathogens in it (like Legionnaires disease or fungi ).
      Good value if you can use it quickly I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Glasshousevirgin View Post
        was it waterlogged Snadger?
        I suspect not only the weight of it made it a H & S risk there is also the increased possibility of pathogens in it (like Legionnaires disease or fungi ).
        Good value if you can use it quickly I suppose.
        Nope, just compressed from what I could see! I thought it would be very wet as well, but it wasn't! The weight was just a bit of a shock when you went to pick it up! I've pricked loads of stuff out into it and everything seems to be thriving!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The H&S risk is that you expect it to be light and do not position yourself for a heavy lift...also works in reverse you see a box of lead and go to pick it up and its just teh box it is very easy to hurt your self.

Legionella should not be a problem..it is found in soil but needs to be at 37o to proliferate. Also you then need to breath the spores to get infected. The main Legionella problem is Aircon cooling tanks.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Not sure if it is still there but bought Organic Grow Bags from Aldi last week, £1.19 (I think or thereabouts) is 30 litres I think but does not say on the bag but from experience it seems right.
            If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?
            - John Cleese

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X