How is my compost doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is my compost doing?

Hi I inherited a compost bin when we moved in January and it was full of slimy stinky half rotted grass clippings and nothing else. I have never made compost before.

I painstakingly emptied it, mixed it all with 'brown' and moved it to a sunny position. That was about 8 weeks ago. Since then the smell is better and it has reduced in volume by about half. The bin was full 8 weeks ago.

My question is, is it actually making compost now or is there anything else I need to do? Does it still need more bown for example. Idon't want it to be still how it is now in a year's time if I can imprrove it again.

I have attached pics so you can hopefully see what's going on in there!

Thanks, janeyo
    Attached Files

That compost looks ace, though still a bit slushy. Middle stage level i reckon, and i'd dig that into my bed right now with out plantage.

Comment

I'd rip or shred some newspaper and mix that in with it. Tip it all out, mix it up then put it back in the bin.

You can tell by the texture when it's ready to use: crumbly, and you shouldn't be able to tell what went in it in the first place. No smell either.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have bought some J.Arthur Bower's Garotta compost maker which is supposed to speed up the natural composting process. Has anyone else used this.
        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
        and ends with backache

Comment

Ages ago yes. I now have 3 compost bins so by the time I work my way around them they are all pretty well rotted. If you're growing climbing beans of any kind, the compost as it now is will be wonderful in a trench beneath them. It will give nutrients and conserve water.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks, I do think it is doing something and well improved from what it was like (yuk). I have a whole sack of shredded paper ready for the chooks so will mix it in.

Cheers guys, helpful as ever

janeyo

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
              I have bought some J.Arthur Bower's Garotta compost maker which is supposed to speed up the natural composting process.
              Don't waste your money. Just use pee or comfrey.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X