the compost heap

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the compost heap

i have been told that i sould add lime to my heap to help get rid of nasties is this true

I’m not really sure about that !, I’ve never added lime to mine and not had any problems with my compost.
    Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

what kind of nasties do you mean? beetles and things are good for it. too much lime and the worms wont like it either.

Comment

I think an outside heap should be OK without lime but if you are asking about a wormery then you need to make sure it does not get too acid. If you notice lots of thin white worms on inside of the lid then it's getting too acid and you need to chuck in a handfull of lime (crushed limestone is best). It will take a month to get back to a good PH but the worms will appreciate the effort.
        Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

I've been making very good compost for more years than I care to remember, and I never add lime. I don't know what "nasties" you're referring to.

Comment

I don't add any to my compost bins - never have. I do add all my eggshells, crushed up a bit. You still get occasions bits of eggshell on your bed but the aesthetics don't bother me. It adds lime in a small amount I suppose.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Actually i've just realised i do add lime, not as limestone, but as lime fruits left over from cooking.

Does this mean you shouldn't really? Is this going to make my plants a bit unhappy?

Comment

My two wormeries have been going strong for 5 years. Never added lime. Oh and I add citrus fruit rind (grapefruit etc) and onion peelings - both said to be bad for it.

So either we have superworms or conventional wisdom is wrong.

I think it's superworms:-)

Comment

Thanks everyone - don't think i'll be adding the lime!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X