Top Soil

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Soil

My garden (read: old dissused quarry and peat bog on a windswept hill ) is far from ideal for veg growing.

So I've made four raised beds with alcathene hoops so I can cover them with fleece for protection.

The OH has bought me three tote bags of rowlawn blended loam for my burfday (at huge expense (no one esle would deliver here ))

The Rowlawn website mentions that they add organic soil conditioners but....

Should I be adding owt else to grow my veggies ?

I was thinking a couple of bags of manure for my salad beds and maybe some sand for my root bed, with peelings and shredded paper at the bottom of my squash bean bed ?

Any thoughts

I once visited a site in North Wales where land remediation was being carried out on an old slate quarry tip. They tries a range of soil conditioners such as green waste compost, paper mulch, slate powder and manure. The treatments all had varying degrees of effectiveness, but not the paper mulch or slate powder. I have friends up here with similar problems that just tipped anything they could get their hands on, to an old slate tip. They had varing success, but I think that importing soil is a good way to go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X