Compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost

I read somewhere that you shouldn't put potato peelings into your compost bin because they are likely to grow and if there are any diseases present they could be transferred to your plot/garden. What do others do? I've found that not including these peelings has a big effect on how much green waste I generate.

i add peelings to my compost heap, but this is my first year and i am learning all the time, but so far so good and none of them have grown, it is looking good in there, surely if you ariate it well and keep turning it over it should be fine, wouldnt the heat kill any diseases??

i will watch this thread with hope that someone who knows comes along as just added the peelings from the sunday lunch to my kitchen caddy and i can take out if need be!!

Comment

Well we've just dug out an old compost bin in our garden and found a huge quantity of very nice potatoes that have grown in there! I put it all down to OH who should have known better

I did read somewhere that during the war when resources were scarce, it was quite common to sprout and use the peelings of potatoes to make new plants And I'm sure I remember my Grandad doing the same...

Comment

If you're lucky, when you turn your compost heap you'll find a few marble sized potatoes for your supper!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Put the potato peeling in your runner bean trench.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
            Put the potato peeling in your runner bean trench.
            ... if you want potatoes growing amongst your beans

I always put potato peelings on my compost heap, I like the additional early crop that I get. They don't tend to produce spuds if I put them in my Dalek though, as the temp is hotter and it kills them off.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have 3 daleks and no growth from spud peelings. Good job as I produce HUGE quantities - very keen on me spuds!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I was discussing this topic today - not putting spud peelings in compost bin of which I always do.

I was advised not to put the haulms in but peelings should be fine. Have any of you ever put the haulms in? I'm guessing I would when the time comes unless there is a good reason why not
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Interesting thread, are there any other members here with an opinion on this?

Cheers

Alex
                  If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?
                  - John Cleese

Comment

I've been putting peelings in my compost for a year. If there are old whole ones, i chop them up when i remember. But i have had growth in my compost bin, not sure what it was because it got attacked by my spade .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X