raised beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raised beds

If i fill my raised beds ( 6" deep) with multi purpose compost , next year do i have to replace it with fresh or just top it up .
    many thanks

Sorry if this a silly question.

Anthony

my raised beds (x2) were only half filled as i am trying to treat them as a no-dig experiment, this year the contents of the compost bin went on top of last years compost, will see how it goes.
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Comment

As long as the compost doesn't become infected with any nasties i.e. club root, blight etc, just keep on adding more compost each year as the level goes down.
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

How big are the beds and do you buy the compost in bulk it sound's a dear way to go on but you will need to feed rather heavy because the feed will not to long in the multi purpose compost jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Hi Jacob

My raised bed is 5ft x 3ft starting small too see what its like

Comment

i 1/2 filled mine with upside down turf which had been piled on the plot when i got it then a layer of well rotted compost then a fine covering of compost, which seemed to work fine. I put a layer of horse poo on one of them over the winter and left the other one without, as they are for salads, radishes and other quick crops its worked ok for me so far
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyjb View Post
              If i fill my raised beds ( 6" deep) with multi purpose compost , next year do i have to replace it with fresh or just top it up .
              I would try and use your own compost rather than use multi all the time. Also add some manure etc.

Multi is fine but does become stale and if it gets a lot of water and then a dry spell can become very crusty, even a couple of inches down stopping any water getting through to the roots. Also I have seen some raised beds done that way have moss on top...

Just a thought
              HAPPY 'Growing My Own'
              Dale

Comment

Personally, I would add some topsoil, even a couple of bags mixed in would help to retain moisture & nutrients.

Comment

Mulch, mulch , mulch during the growing season - I use grass clippings, they will add to the compost. Agree with the others, if you can, use your own compost to top up the levels after a year or so. The growing medium in my raised beds are a mixture of soil (heavy clay here), own compost and some 'stale' compost from old pots etc. I will add some well-rotted manure if feeding needed for next year.
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

I agree with everyone, farmyard manure at the end of the season aswell, let it rot down over winter, lovely and scrummy for the new season!
                    Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I added grit sand to my raised beds, mixed in with the compost etc to improve drainage.

NN
                      If there is no football and gardening in heaven - I'm not going.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X