Spent Mushroom Compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent Mushroom Compost

Does anyone know where you can get spent mushroom compost for cheap (or free!) in the Surrey area?
    You know you're a hard nosed gardener when you pull the weeds from others plots!

Hi

Just joined today. Wondered if you had any luck find mushroom compost in the Surrey area. I have just started to build some raised beds and in need of something to fill them. Mushroom compost I hope would do the job. I live a few miles from Epsom so locally sourced compost would be good.

Comment

just remember if you were lucky enough to source some that it has a high lime content and is good for brassica's but not for taters it makes them scabby
      this will be a battle from the heart
      cymru am byth

Comment

Yup, there is, and just down the road from you, but you'd have to buy it:
        Marsden Nursery & Garden Centre
        Pleasure Pit Road Ashtead, SURREY KT21 1HU
        01372 273891

I haven't been there for a while, but they've had a big heap of it in/around the car park for years - bought some a couple of years ago but I can't remember how cheap it was..

Comment

You can buy it just to grow mushrooms too can't you? My friend had some many moons ago, and produced enough mushrooms for the family for ages!
          http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Hi Claire,
            Love the blogspot....great to see someone else's plot.
            Have just been to our local mushroom farm and got 2 bags of spent compost - 50p each - and am going to try them for growing mushrooms from spawn myself. Quite a lot of chicken content in this I think judging both by the look and the smell; will see how it goes.
            Regards,
            Simon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X