Ashes, any use?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashes, any use?

We use a wood burner for our heating and every couple of weeks I clean it out and have a nice carrier bag full of ash. Is there any use for this in the garden? If I put it on the patch of land where I always get nettles, will it stop the nettles and weeds from growing?
    Atomic Apple Design

"It is a cliché that most clichés are true, but then like most clichés, that cliché is untrue."

I don't think they will necessarily stop weeds from growing - but would be a useful additive to any compost or dug straight into the ground - once cold of course!

Ash-wise - I even add the ash from my incense sticks to the compost bin - if anyone thnks this is seriously bad please inform!

Comment

If it's pure wood you're burning, then the ash is really good for fruiting pants like raspberries and strawberries. Dose it liberally around the base of the plants just before they start flowering.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

We only have a wood burner for heat/cooking in winter so have a tin of ash every morning - it all goes on the garden
        Its brilliant for the gooseberries but i only have one big bush and three little uns!
        Am going to try putting some on the compost heap next and after that its going to get trawled up over the embankment and onto the weeds.......
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

I usually throw my bonfire ash into the compost but last year I had my raised bed built and threw quite a few spadeful of bonfire ashes into the soil mixture, I think they're supposed to be rich in potash.
          Food for Free

Comment

Wood ash is good for onions too - I put our garden bonfire at the end of the year where my next year's onion patch is going to be (in an incinerater - not free range!)
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I also believe that ash has a similar effect to lime in that it reduces the acidity in the soil. I usually put the ash in the compost heap or round the apple trees.
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Wood ash is magic stuff - how I miss my old wood burning stove. All alliums (onions, garlic, maybe leeks?) should love it, as do woody plants like fruit bushes and trees. I imagine nettles will thrive on it too! Best just to cut and compost them.

Avoid coal ash - it has a more toxic make up.

On a side note - that's a lot of ash to get from a wood burner. I used to get a carrier bag every couple of months from a monster of a stove. What are you burning, and is it getting hot enough?
                Resistance is fertile

Comment

Hi Paul.

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I was interested by your woodburner ash crop! I just bought a house with a wood burner, and I'd say I get a carrier bag of ash every week or so. I'm burning whatever the previous owner left behind - I guess some could be cherry, ash... I'm not really sure! And it's burning pretty hot... How did you feed yours? (Possibly a bit warm to ask this question now!)

Thanks,

Giles

Comment

You could add coal or coke to start the fire it will burn hotter than wood.

The heat also depends on the type of fire...if it enclosed with a propper working flue it will burn hotter than one that is open.

Pot ash is very good to feed the garden..
                    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Nice one!We are having a woodburner installed tomorrow!!Nice to know that the so called"waste" isnt waste at all

Comment

We are in a smokeless zone so we cant have one.....Its a shame as I have loads of chopped wood.
                        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Are ashes from charcoal barbeques suitable for the dalek?
                          Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over
                          here, looking through your stuff.

http://mustardveggie.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yep once cooled. But I would use them as potsah directly on the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard View Post
                              Are ashes from charcoal barbeques suitable for the dalek?
                              Does the same apply if you use the bbq brickets opposed to charcoal? Can ashes from bbq brickets be composted?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X