Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horse or cow manure

Which is better well rotted horse or cow manure? to put into veg beds

I heard well rotted horse is best...anyone have any thoughts?

I use both, as well as pig (and in August I'll get about 60 tonnes of chicken too) and there really isn't too much difference if it has all been well composted. The biggest noticeable difference is if horse hasn't been properly composted or is used too fresh, you will find loads of grass etc coming up - horses do not digest the seeds that they get in haybales -threy pass through and await suitable conditions for germination !
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

i use pony poo but only cause its free but i let it rot down for a good while
      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I use horse but read somewhere recently that cow contains more nutrients. Really fresh horse helps rot down contents of daleck bins quickly.
        It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Anything you get for free (or cheap) is good. It's more valuable as a soil improver than a fertiliser anyway.

Comment

Farmers around here won't take horse muck to spread because they say there's no nutrient value in it. (unless you pay them lots of money, then they're happy to take it away).
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Go for the cow s££t too many weeds and thistles in the horsey dooings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X