horse manure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horse manure

i can get my hands on some fresh horse manure. would this be ok to put on new raised beds now as i wont be planting seedlings until the spring.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

HAWTHORN
    Yes that should be alright but it is advisable to use a spade as it doesn't half stain your fingers.

Comment

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself as I've just sourced a supply of FREE 5 year old horse muck only four miles away! Going with my new allotment toy ( Landy Pickup!) to let it earn it's keep by transporting it on Sunday. Of course there's some fresh stuff as well and I may go back for a load of this so that I can try an experimental free heating of one of my greenhouses with it!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
        HAWTHORN
        Yes that should be alright but it is advisable to use a spade as it doesn't half stain your fingers.

EEeyyuuukkk!!!
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
          HAWTHORN
          Not me I'll get Madderbat to do it!

The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

Lucky you, use it to topdress your raised beds. However, I would be a bit careful about sowing seeds into it in the spring. I've usually used it round established plants (rhubarb etc) or in the bottom of the bean trench (wonderful results). You could put it on your beds, leave the wormies to pull most of it into the soil, and then cultivate gently to incorporate the rest of it in the spring.

Comment

can anyone list veg that like to be grown in a manured raised bed.

Comment

Things that love manure...all the cucurbit family - courgettes, squahes, pumpkins, all the legumes amily - lots of different beans and peas. Potatoes love it too. I've just manured the beds, and will add lime to the brasica bed come the spring. Like Rustylady said, the worms should pull most of it down into the soil, plus the weather will break the clods down. Dig whatever is left in, in the spring, add a little compost and rake it over ready for planting. Job done. Good luck
                Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Oh, so spuds like manure aswell? I'm confused about this one, I read that the spuds were included in the 'root' section of the revolving bed system and wanted no manure - even though I was sure that spuds DO like a bit of manure? So, should I also add manure to my potato patch? Many thanks
                  eden

Comment

Originally posted by Eden View Post
                    Oh, so spuds like manure aswell? I'm confused about this one, I read that the spuds were included in the 'root' section of the revolving bed system and wanted no manure - even though I was sure that spuds DO like a bit of manure? So, should I also add manure to my potato patch? Many thanks
                    eden
                    I tend to put a thick manure or straw mulch on everything apart from the carrot or parsnip bed.
                    Last year I had four inches of well rotted cow muck on the area I planted spuds in! I just dibbled them in through the mulch and didn't need to earth them up. I dug lovely clean tatties with very few green ones. As I dug them up I just raked the bed incorporating the muck and planted leeks straight after. I now have some nice leeks which should keep me going through the winter.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

im only goin to manure 1 bed as its fresh horse dung. ill let the rest rot down in bags and top dress in the autumn

Comment

i have now managed to fill 2 of the raised beds with top soil and composted waste. still have to make 1 more bed and fill it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X