X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushroom Compost - good value?

In my local paper there is an advert for Mushroom Compost

£2.00 per 50lb bag delivered

Is this a good deal? I have an allotment that is in need of some tlc. Very sandy and dry. I don't really have the means to collect manure in the boot of my car (wife say's unhygienic with our new-born!) and also don't have time to wait for it to rot for a year.

If the price is right I may phone and get £20's worth - any thoughts....?

Cheers

Stuart

SJA
    The wife might be a bit happier if you took the kid out of the boot before you put the muck in there, There is not a lot of goodness in old mushroom compost but there is the much needed humus, down here we have someone advertising a ton and a quarter of well rotted manure for £45.00 so 500 lb of mushroom compost for £20.00 seems quite reasonable,
    Last edited by PAULW; 26-10-2007, 01:36 PM. Reason: misread posting

Comment

Great deal. I assume thats a local company not national?

Comment

We had clay soil and , what with mushroom compost and used hops by the trailerfull, the soil condition vastly improved!!!
        Go for it....
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by SJA View Post

I don't really have the means to collect manure in the boot of my car (wife say's unhygienic with our new-born!) and also don't have

Stuart
          I take it that you are newly married.....and havent heard of the Russian Front. It is a ploy all us married men use.

It works like this...Think of what you want....then think of the worst possable opposing option..the Russian Front.

Dear I need to get some bags of free manure.....or I will have to buy £100 of mushroom compost and we then will not be able to afford a nighit out this month. Strangly their view will change very quickly.

Buy a Boot liner bag then bag up the manure and put the bags of manure in this. that should make her happy.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Or have you thought of getting a trailer very handy tool when you have a lottie, you can put the muck in the boot and the sprog and pram in the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
              SJA
              The wife might be a bit happier if you took the kid out of the boot before you put the muck in there, There is not a lot of goodness in old mushroom compost but there is the much needed humus, down here we have someone advertising a ton and a quarter of well rotted manure for £45.00 so 500 lb of mushroom compost for £20.00 seems quite reasonable,
              Hold on , hold on PAULW! When I last went to school there were 2240lbs in a ton, so a ton and a quarter will be roughly 2240+560=2800lb

2800lb for £45

500lb for £ 20 = Roughly £90 per ton!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

SNADGER
                Yes I do realise it is a little dearer than my load of muck but then again compared to some products like farmyard manure and growbags from the garden centre I still dont reckon it is a bad price, there are small stable around here offering carrier bags of horse muck for 50p now I dont know whether this is Shergar sh1t or what but that is what you call expensive.

Comment

We usually get a trailer load of cow muck delivered for about £25 to £30!

About 3 tonne in weight at a guess! Although it seems about 30 tonnes when you have to start shovelling it!

Most stables round here will give you muck for free if you are prepared to get it yourself, as it's classed as industrial waste now and they're glad to get rid of it!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Many thanks for the replies - you certainly brought a smile to my face!

Dearly Beloved wanted a new car (cannot fit all in her current little KA!) and we've managed to find a really nice and cheap Picasso. Great for me as it has a Tow Bar !!!

All I need now is a trailer (hoping one of the chaps on the lotty can lend) and can collect the horse poo!! Have also found some local stables

May still get some Mushroom compost and try an experiment to see what works best

Thanks greatly

Stuart

Comment

mushroom compost

hi, anybody tell me where i can buy mushroom compost from [not the spent]

Comment

brill deal,,,,,,i buy mine at 50p a bag, big bag from a mushroom farm, very good stuff.
                        Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Mushroom Compost

Hi, Is the compost inoculated or is it the spent compost, do you use it for growing mushrooms or just use it on the garden.
                          Cheers

Comment

I've just had 50 black bin bags delivered, they are half full and cost me £50.00. I don't know how heavy they are - I can just about manage to lift them. I reckon that's good value. (See the thread on transporting manure).
                            Bernie aka DDL
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

If you are still looking for spent mushroom compost I can supply all you need, and its delivered. I am Evesham based and deliver around the west midlands. Richard. 07598 918420.
                              Originally posted by SJA View Post

£2.00 per 50lb bag delivered

Is this a good deal? I have an allotment that is in need of some tlc. Very sandy and dry. I don't really have the means to collect manure in the boot of my car (wife say's unhygienic with our new-born!) and also don't have time to wait for it to rot for a year.

If the price is right I may phone and get £20's worth - any thoughts....?

Cheers

Stuart

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X