Suggestions please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions please!

Two things to suggest uses for please grapes...

Tights (clean of course!)

Shower puff thingys

Both of which I seem to go through like their going out of fashion and always feel guilty chucking in the bin - there must be something I can do with them!

TIA

Ed
    Live for something or die for nothing

Old tights are handy for tying up tomatoes and other plants as they are soft and stretchy. I think they can also be used for storing onions or garlic (if you don't plait them).

Perhaps the shower thingys (do you mean the nylon things which are like soft pan scourers?) could be used in the bottom of deep pots as drainage/to reduce the quantity of compost needed?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Do you need any draught sausages for doors? I made a very good one with old tights. They are also great for stuffing anything (See Clare sit back and wait for funny comments ) I know it isn't quite gardening related but better than throwing them away.
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Not sure about the puff things but the tights could be used for storing onions or supporting growing melons

Phil
        Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Use both as filters in guttering into rain butts.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

CLEAN tights or pop-socks make good filters. I have used as jelly bags in an emergency and it worked well. Also a good idea to fit one on the end of the downpipe leading to your waterbutt (fix with elastic band). Stops any large bits and bobs getting into the butt. Never thought about the bath thingys, but yes I suppose they could be used as "crocks" in the bottom of pots - good idea.

Comment

When using them for onion storage........pop in an onion...tie a knot......pop in an onion...tie a knot etc,etc!

When you need an onion just snip off the bottom knot each time!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

samr goes for Gladioli as well. Also they don't cut in your wrists as much as cable ties ..... so I'm told
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Tights
                  Is this after you've got two damaged pairs, cut the damaged leg off of each and worn together to make a new pair???

When they are beyond use, I keep all used tights in the allotment shed, cut up they're great for ties, used whole for lashing things together, ie wire compost bin.
                  If I had the time I'd also save any for using cut up for stuffing cushions etc.
                  and agree with the onion storage and if you scald them in boiling water they do make exceedingly good jelly bags.

I've got a book, Extraordinary Uses for Everyday Things and they also suggest
                  Cutting them up to use as shoe shiners
                  Use a leg to store wrapping paper in a tight roll.
                  Cut tights up into small squares and use to remove nail varnish
                  If you've lost something like a contact lense put a tight leg over the vacuum hose and hoover away till you find it.
                  Make scented bath oil by drying and grinding up citrus peel and putting in the foot part of a tight leg, tie a knot and put under the running hot tap
                  Use the foot part to hold something like pot pourri, moth balls etc to hang in the clothes closet
                  Cut a strip of tight, tie a knot and use as a scrunchy
                  Use a whole pair of tights to help dry delicates on the line, run the tights through the sleeves and then clip the tights at wrists and neck instead of the garment
                  Use a tight leg as a giant rubber band to keep stored linens in place.
                  If you have a hairbrush with stiff bristles, force a piece of tight down to the bed of a clean brush. When it needs cleaning you just have to lift off the piece of tight and replace with a new bit.

As for the srunchy things, it sounds like the sort of thing to substitute something longer lasting for, you could try asking for some organic cotton flannels for Christmas. At least when worn out they can be cut up and added to the compost heap!
                  Sue

Comment

Blow me,wish I wore tights!!Any suggestions for uses of old socks?

Comment

Your cash under the bed?
                      And a ding behind the ear with one full of wet sand often offends.
                      Last edited by Flummery; 06-10-2007, 09:43 AM. Reason: Added a bit
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X