Compost - egg shells

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost - egg shells

Since emptying my last compost, I had decided not to put egg shells in the compost as they didn't seem to break down that well (even after I had crushed them into smaller pieces).

Recently I've gone back to recycling egg shells after I read that they're rich in calcium. I pound them (dry them first) finely in Jamie Oliver's heavy stone pestle and mortar, works a treat.
    Food for Free

Does Jamie not mind you using his pestle and mortar? Hope you clean it out before he needs to use it

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
      ......... I pound them (dry them first) finely in Jamie Oliver's heavy stone pestle and mortar, works a treat.
      LOL, a spot of name dropping, eh!
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Now I've got hens I get a lot more egg shells and thought I'd experiment with growing two winter lettuces in the open surrounded by a deep ring of egg shells and a tiny sprinkling of organic slug pellets. So far one hasn't been touched, one got a bit chewed but has since been left alone.
        Now for two lettuces this took the equivalent of 30 eggs shells but it did mean I used far less slug pellets.
        Normally growing anything like this in the open on my allotment is like saying Slugs, Free Breakfast Bar - Hope I don't speak too soon and find them chewed to the ground tomorrow!
        Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X