Ash

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash

We have some organic material (wood, mulch, cardboard) that we are going to burn in our field. Not a huge amount, but it’ll create some ash when we’re done. Can this go into our compost heap?
    Our DIY and sustainability journey: My Home Farm

It can or you can use as a feed directly good for flower/fruit.

Comment

We use the ash from our woodburner mixed into our raised bed. It has helped with opening up the texture of our beds (very, very heavy clay).
      "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
      - Henry Beard

Comment

I've never put it in a compost bin, but have used it direct in the ground.

Comment

Wood ash in compost or direct on to beds, cardboard into compost pile.

Comment

Tomato and pepper plants love a bit of wood ash. The calcium in it helps to counter blossom end rot. Otherwise, as others have said, bung in the compost bin.

Comment

I mix it into my compost bins and spread it on beds and fruit areas.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I heard that wood ash is good for garlic if you are growing any.

Comment

It great to deter slugs and snails surround the plants deeply not only does it fertilizes them but keeps the horrors way

Google its old name Potash

PS 60 years ago at school we used it to make soap using salt and lard and it worked
                  Last edited by stevejelf; 10-02-2021, 09:48 PM.
                  Bearn, Pyrenees Atlantique France

Comment

If you have a wood burner it is good for cleaning the glass, use wet kitchen towel dipped in the ash.

Comment

^^^ Our wood burner, which heats radiators and domestic hot water as well as the room runs on kiln dried oak and ash wood and creates very little ash. We only empty it every week or 10 days even though it runs 16 hours a day.
                      As a result the ash is very concentrated and very alkaline (pH of 10 - 12) and needs handing with care. Gloves and goggles recommended.
                      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                      ∃

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X