Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shredded paper and composting

is shredded paper "green" or "brown"?

also, last time I put a lot of shredded paper in the heap, I got a rat. I am not at all sure the two are connected, but does anyone do anything to shredded paper to minimise rat-friendliness? (water it? write rude things about rats on it?)

I use shredded paper as browns and always water every layer as its added and it make most excellent brown composting material, I compress in buckets with lids and store on the plot for when I need them. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCH...JG2HtQ&index=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Food Bucket with Lids again.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	2381350

Name:	Composting Store.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	2381351
    Last edited by Cadalot; 31-10-2018, 02:25 PM.
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

thanks Cadders,

I have a lot of brown in my plot compost heap, so I'll put it in the Dalek, but noted about water.
      Sorry, can't watch the video - do you compress dry or wet?

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
        thanks Cadders,

I have a lot of brown in my plot compost heap, so I'll put it in the Dalek, but noted about water.
        Sorry, can't watch the video - do you compress dry or wet?
        I compress dry, I have two buckets and place the shredded paper in there then add the second bucket that has four 2 litre pop bottles as weight and just let gravity do its thing. I keep topping up and compressing until I can get no more in and then the lid goes on and it goes into composting corner where I have coir, spent compost, hops from the local brewery, coffee grounds, cut cardboard etc ready for adding to greens in the form of grass cutting and vegetation from the plot. I don't compost weeds at all, I should do really.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

I always add a handful of shreddings in the bottom of my kitchen caddie it helps when emptying it into my compost bins.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I shred the letters etc and add it as a brown and I also have several bags of newspaper which I tear to shreds and add as a brown when I don't have anything else.

I add a layer to the compost then water it, layering it with grass cuttings / green garden waste.

To keep rats away I have a tree stake and one of those compost stirring things which I keep jabbing in and waggling it about. Rats don't like being disturbed plus it let's air get down into the heap.

It might also be too dry so the rats are comfy. Next time you stir the compost see if you need to add any water.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Got to be brown. Will now be using it as Croydon now won't take shredded paper in recycling.

I have loads of newspaper from large bird cage. I put them in old compost bags which I leave in open. With weather like today's they'll be wet and won't need damping down when adding to heap. Wet paper is easier to tear.
              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Hi Ya, enjoyed the info Cadalot very interesting. I find the composting side as interesting as the vegg bit. I use newspaper and place in the bottom of the buckets I have where I place my veggie peelings. I rip it up but don't shred it. I have considered using gash junk mail but considered the ink and glues they use on the envelopes etc. When I apply my peelings I don't water as the veggie peelings tend to soak the paper anyway. I am always on the look out for plastic buckets as the lids don't last and split. Where do you source yours from? I do shred cardboard and add that to my runner trench with compost to hold moisture in. I am on sandy soil and it's hungry ground and nothing is seen the next year but the soil looks good. Happy Gardening all

Comment

Hi Ya, Well did some research and it would seem the majority of modern inks are naturally based flower/veg etc so no worries there. The glues seem to bbe of the same. I looked up storage buckets on line and they are freely available but talking to a mate who suggested trying restaurants who probably use the buckets like yours that hold beans etc so I will keep my eyes open now and see where we go. I use them like you to store my stuff for composting and seeing your set up has given me more info and I will do the same as adding to the bin a good load in one go is better than little by little. I mix weeds and leaves and fresh horse manure into mine as well. So opens a new way forward. Thanks to all
                  Last edited by lottieguy; 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lottieguy View Post
                    Hi Ya, enjoyed the info Cadalot very interesting. I am always on the look out for plastic buckets as the lids don't last and split. Where do you source yours from?
                    They come from the local Pizza shop they just throw them away so are happy for me to take some every now and then. I have amassed quite a collection and use them for storage of all manor of things including coir, coffee, cut up cardboard, spent hops etc.

Name:	2018-11-04 Shed and Store - Cropped.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	2381483

Storage Extension to the second shed on my second allotment plot
                    sigpic
                    . .......Man Vs Slug
                    Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X