No announcement yet.

Hedgehogs and how to encourage them in.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's quite a big hedgehog about 15cm tall & round,I've got a small box,I'll do it now good idea!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	2374965Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	2374966
      A little reminder of my little rescue a couple of years ago...if he isn't 600g (700g even better) he won't get through the hibernation so feed him up if you can.

When I first picked him up he was covered in ticks and weighed less than 100g. It's worth knowing that vets often have a "wildlife fund" my local vet took as many ticks off as she could and wormed him for me before giving him back. I fed him well over a couple of months...they really are greedy
      Here he is while still small.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	2374967
      Last edited by Scarlet; 11-09-2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Have seen a hedgehog in my garden three times in the last week

Comment

Lucky you! I know lots of people don't put food out due to rats...but they welcome a shallow dish of water in this weather..

Comment

My other half is absolutely crazy about hedgehogs, and about 2 weeks ago we happened to see one walk past the patio window when we were in the kitchen quite late one night. Since then we've been putting a small amount of cat food out for it, in a very crude shelter. Got two breeze blocks and put them against a fence with a gap between them for the food, then put a paving slab on top. We get nightly visits by the neighbourhood cats all trying to get inside, so I've had to make it a bit more cat proof. Got loads of videos of a little tabby cat that can almost get under, but amusingly there's a fatter grey cat that looks at it but doesn't even bother trying.

Took about ten days for the hog to visit again, and the dopey thing walked around the blocks but didn't actually go inside. Going to have to rethink our strategy I think. Maybe some food that cats aren't interested in so that we don't have to hide it away so much.

Comment

I’ve noticed the hedgehog here a few times & found a few little messes so it’s good it’s finding enough food,there’s a few wild areas here with insects everywhere you look. Having clean water to drink is the main important thing Ive always noticed this one near the water.

Comment

'Wild About Gardens' is a joint initiative between the RHS and the Wildlife Trusts to encourage us all to make our gardens more wildlife friendly.
                Their website is here: Wild About Gardens

They have produced a 16 page booklet in PDF form, with information about how gardeners can take small steps to make their gardens more encouraging and safe for Hedgehogs.

You can view or download the PDF here: WildAboutGardens-Hedgehogs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X