No announcement yet.

My Pond

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I? Won't I? Should I? Shunt I?.........Decisions, decisions.............
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Just resign yourself to having to perpetually having to scoop off the duck weed. The smallest trace will breed up again.

The only plants it'll effect are those with leaves on surface like water hawthorn. My skunk cabbages, irises and marsh marigolds are thriving.

Unless you've a big pond avoid the yellow flag iris. I had to use a saw on mine. It's really invasive and the rhisomes are so thick. The variegated form is far better behaved.
      Last edited by DannyK; 27-10-2015, 08:28 AM.
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Thank you Danny, I'm still hoping to eventually remove the lot but it's unlikely I'll get every single speck.

Crikey, a saw sounds a bit extreme your yellow iris must've had really thick stems! I will be sure to avoid them.
        The best things in life are not things.

Comment

hello to everyone
          I agree with previous advice. Yellow iris is lovely, but set apart. My big (=well developped) one is in a strong 250L black plastic bin with no hole. I put (sawn!!)sections of rhizoms&leaves in rigid thick containers filled with pouzzolane in my fish tank; irises act as great filter, feeding only on 'rich' water. I also struggle with when to tidy. I prefer removing 'weeds' before real cold. I leave some in a large container or near close small lake.Frogs and tritons are lively enough to find shelter elsewhere..Au revoir pB

Comment

I worked really hard on my pond (see first photo) but failed to get rid of the duckweed, I pull it off every day but it grows back so fast. There are new oxygenating plants coming up, a pink lily which i'm looking forward to, a new perennial border and tons of tadpoles (:

Attached Files

Comment

Looks beautiful, Verinda. So calm and tranquil.

Comment

Thank you VC I have a crate (found at the beach years ago) to sit and watch the tadpoles its really relaxing.

I painted a green stripe round the crate and discovered that it says on it, in large letters that any unauthorised person using this crate will be punished by law! So I guess I could be arrested at any moment!
                Last edited by Verinda; 22-05-2016, 11:13 PM.

Comment

M'Lud, Verinda is innocent of all charges.
                  You were cleaning the beach of the crate owner's litter.
                  Don't worry.we won't let them lock you away

Comment

That's a relief! I discovered the name of an American company on it, it must have drifted right across the Atlantic.

I'll let you know if the cops come knocking

Comment

Yellow flag Iris. Yep have those , they're wild round here. Rampant things.

So after rescuing tadpoles from a dried up forest puddle on the track..
                      Today I was accompanied gardening by the spotted flycatcher looping off the washing line
                      A baby song thrush waiting for me finishing clearing an area by greenhouse so it could have a dig and feast of slugs and worms, it stayed all day and just sat watching me
                      Whilst clearing area found a newt, thought was dead but no..yippee.
                      Then checking tadpoles in pond ....I spot a newt. Who could well be feasting on my rescue taddies.

Not a great pic...but here is newty.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Containergardener; 23-05-2016, 09:11 PM.
                      Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X