Little pigeon

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

My sister is a vets receptionist and says they put almost all the wild animals that are brought in to sleep without really giving them much of a chance so I'm glad he's back home with you.
    The best things in life are not things.

Comment

No idea if Pidge is male or female...so its 'he' for now!

He just knocked his water dish up in the air. Now bedraggled and wet, and having eaten his suet, chick crumb and mashed pea, he is seeking an escape route!

Oh and by the way...the 'like' buttons have disappeared! So please pretend I've clicked like for each of your replies because I certainly would if I could!
      Last edited by muddled; 27-07-2015, 05:39 PM.
      http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Try refreshing the page, muddled, sometimes the likes reappear then

Comment

Here he is, recovered enough to be a grumpy patient!

And I have no idea why this pic went sideways and previous ones didn't...if anyone is able to turn him round I'd be most grateful!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by muddled; 27-07-2015, 06:15 PM. Reason: luddite syndrome when loading pictures

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
            He's back!

Apparently the vet was not happy and felt he should be put to sleep.
            She feels he is small, his injuries are bad and infection has already set in. However, she said that if the rescue wanted to try and save him they could so she gave him the antibiotic injection.

Oh! and wildlife treatment is not free here

BUT;
            I don't care about any of that now, he's tucked up on the windowsill, quite alert and looking around and still in with a chance!
            I hope the little fella makes it.

That's a noble thing you're doing, dear Muddled.
            Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
            Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

How's little Pidge this morning Muddled?

Looks more alert in your last photo....am keeping fingers crossed

Comment

We are all rooting for Little Pidge here, he has certainly been though a rough time.
                Last edited by fishpond; 28-07-2015, 08:52 AM.
                Feed the soil, not the plants.
                (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                Bob

Comment

Good morning!

Little Pidge is feeling hale and hearty this morning!

We've had to drape some fabric over the clear perspex prop lid to convince him that he can't fly through it....he's been pecking on it and trying to launch (loudly) since dawn.

He has developed a taste for fresh garden peas (note to self; release site must be far from my allotment) and wild bird suet block.

He also preens himself a fair bit now. He's removed most of the damaged feathers and tidied up the rest...he looks a lot less raggedy now although the big wound on his back still looks pretty grim.

So, although I've been warned that he could die suddenly and without warning and I really shouldn't get my (or yours) hopes up....it's looking really positive here this morning.

There is a wildlife rescue over in Tonbridge Wells that I might take him to tomorrow. I feel he needs to stretch his wings....he keeps trying to....but I don't think he's well enough to be freed yet. They have aviaries for him to get his strength up in and a really lovely vet on site.
                  It's only about an hours drive away (if I don't get lost).

I would dearly love to keep him to full health and release him myself....how wonderful must that feel? But I do think they will make a better job of it.

Comment

I'm so happy to hear Little Pidge is doing so well, hats off and lots of credit to you Muddled. I hope he will eventually fly away. If you do take him to the wildlife rescue I am sure they would let you know how he's doing and when he can be released.
                    The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
                      I would dearly love to keep him to full health and release him myself....how wonderful must that feel? But I do think they will make a better job of it.
                      Really happy to hear that he's doing well, as you say, he's not out of the woods yet but he has managed this long.
                      I expect that, if he stays at the wildlife centre to get stronger, they would probably let you be there when they release him if you ask. It is a lovely thing to be able to do. We used to volunteer at the Hawk Concervancy near Andover and were often asked to release birds back into the wild, there's no better feeling
                      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Funny how attached you become to little creatures isn't it! Thanks for keeping us up to date with his progress muddled.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well done muddled keeping my fingers crossed for little pidgy( by the way that's the nick name of my little great niece )
                          Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Well done muddled and Little Pidge. You make a great team
                            Thought I was joining in the wildlife rescue tonight when the puppies found a blackbird, behind a pot in the GH. It seemed to be trapped with its wing at an odd angle.
                            Once I'd moved the pot, it hopped out, shouted at me, jumped all over the tomatoes and eventually, flew out of the GH. I was very relieved.
                            Hope Little Pidge can fly away soon too

Comment

So ladies and gentlemen, a final update.

Yesterday we drove Little Pidge to the Folly Rescue in Kent.
                              I had worried that I would feel sad but when we got there (it's miles from civilization in the middle of ancient woodland) it was clear that this was a special kind of place.

"Aah! we've been wondering if you would bring your little dove in today" the receptionist said. She took Pidge straight in to the vet.....who came out immediately (still carrying the dove) to show me exactly where he was hurt, how well the wounds are healing and that amazingly, no structural damage appeared to have been done.

She said that Pidge will be staying with a group of collared doves so he doesn't imprint on people too much. He'll stay untill all his feathers grow back (lots, including all his tailfeathers, are missing....he's a bit 'oven ready') She thought he was rather out of condition with no lustre on his remaining feathers and suspected that he was out of sorts before and that's how the cat caught him.
                              So she prescribed more antibiotics, a range of nutritional supplements....he'll be seen on 'ward rounds' everyday but will be living in a group setting untill his release, in beautiful ancient woodland in deepest, darkest Kent.

A happy ending then,
                              and a delicious pub lunch on the way home in pub overlooking the steam train railway!
                              She invited back to release him when the time comes (I declined, it was FAR)
                              Last edited by muddled; 30-07-2015, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Excllent news, muddled. Folly rescue sounds amazing. Just right for Little Pidge to recover and grow strong - and its all thanks to you and your BIG dog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X