• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope he comes back to visit Scarlet!
    sigpic

Comment

• Good work scarlet.

This has reminded me of a family of hogs that used to live at the bottom of the garden at my last house. They used to hang around the compost heap.

I remember one evening being in the garden and hearing a series of panicked squeezing noises. Upon investigation I discovered one of the baby hogs had got trapped between the wall at the back of our garden and the fence of the garden that backed on to it. It was squeeking and the other hogs were worriedly looking for it and squeeking back.

Long story short I was able to rescue it and reunite it with its family. I then blocked off the hole it had for itself stuck in.

I like to think they were grateful

Comment

• Lovely to hear about your rescue Ryleh !

Scarlet- what weight did you manage to get him up to?...you dun good there lass!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• 806g Nicos I was very pleased. I've put food out in the same spot as his run and also food in the hedgehog house. I'm hoping he'll come back for food tonight.

Comment

• Yey! ...well done- that's great!

Comment

• just a quick update on the hogs.
              for over a week they seem to be feeding later in the night.
              perhaps they are gathering nesting material for hibernation already ?

At 630 this morning , i heard a hog snoring in the hedge back .

I have bought a couple of cheap plastic cat baskets turned them upside down into potential hog homes.
              This morning i got a big trug full of dry leaves. made a bed of about 3-4 inches deep. put the basket over the top. finally i topped it off with about 3 -4 inches of leaves.
              looks like a hidden mini nuclear bunker.

Last night for a dummy run i left a few meal worms inside the upturned basket.
              The webcam proves that the hogs went inside and the dish was empty.

anyone else notice their hedgehogs behaviour has changed with the colder weather

Comment

• I rarely see them come Autumn, the only time I see or hear them is in the Summer evenings when I'm enjoying the garden with a glass of wine. I leave water out and food but the OH insists I'm feeding rats I would love a webcam so that I could find out how many were visiting. I released mine the other night, the food wasn't touched last night
                Keep us posted Compo.

Comment

• NG, what's happened to yours?

Comment

• ^^^^He didn't make it went down hill over night and when I got to the vet they gave me a choice I gave him the chance but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

Comment

• when I picked mine up the hedgehog rescue lady said not to get my hopes up as they often just die. Sorry to hear that NG, at least you tried.

Comment

• What a shame NG, awful for you.
                        But you did what you could, he died because nature is harsh sometimes..not because no-one bothered to help.

To my mind there is an ENORMOUS difference. xx
                        http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Oh I forgot to say. My vet also has a wildlife fund, just in case peeps want to check and it sways their decisions in future.

Comment

• Sad news NG.
                            Hats off to you for trying though x

Comment

• The hogs seem too becoming a bit more elusive as the nights become colder
                              Not appearing til the early hours

Though the mealworms seem to be still going down well when the hogs appear

Comment

• baby hedge hog

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                Spotted him ambling behind me. I don't think he's very well as I've never seen one out during the day. He seems to have a few ticks ;( Anyway, I've given him some crushed dog biscuits and a dish of water. Fingers crossed.[ATTACH=CONFIG]57812[/ATTACH]
                                if there is a blue cross near you take it there they will pass it on to the relevant people who deal with them who will remove the ticks as far as i know baby hedgehogs should not be out yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X