no ladybirds....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I had a few in spring but none since. I had aphids all over my fennel and tried the usual flowers to find a few ladybirds but nothing. Even the kids couldn't find any and they find everything.
    sigpic

Comment

I think the ladybirds must be on holiday ..........in Yorkshire. I seem to have an abundance.

Comment

I've also got loads and lots of species
        22 spot
        7 spot
        The kidney spot
        And the dreaded harlequin

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Plenty here but a definite lack of aphids for them

Comment

Ladybird ladybird, where have you been?

This is an interesting one and I'm guessing that we are representative of different areas and so this must be something affecting a lot of us. It's certainly too late this year but it might be worthwhile doing as I plan on doing and that is to buy in Ladybird larvae and adults next year. This might sound a strange thing to do but it actually works twofold. Firstly you have an immediate solution to any aphids that seem to have thrived this year and secondly you could be introducing a local population that could then breed.

Comment

We had loads of seven spot ladybirds in the spring, could've easily counted 50+ at any one time. But haven't seen many for a couple of months now though I guess there's lots of larvae which aren't so visible. I've got a very overgrown wildflower patch and various wood piles, so maybe they're in there.

Comment

We had masses of them about 4-6 weeks ago on the plot. They decimated the various aphids that were smothering my artichokes and broadies! Seems to have mainly vanished now, just seeing the odd one and the odd larva!
                If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X