S.O.S Baby bird

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.O.S Baby bird

Hi guys this little bird was rescued from one of my cats. It has taken up residence in the cold frame. What's the best thing to do for it?

Sorry wrong picture here is a better one

Attached Files
    Last edited by Bal; 13-05-2014, 09:46 PM.
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

I'm having trouble seeing the bird in the picture. I think scrambled egg is good for baby birds and worms of course. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

I hope he'll be ok. Let us know.
    The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Hi just reported a better picture, the poor little thing actually seems fine. I will give it some scrambled egg. Can't seem to find a single worm in the garden!

Comment

It looks like a dunnock ...

It's a young one but looks almost full grown. Should have a good chance of making it.
        Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
        Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for that. OH said it was a baby blue tit, I thought it was much to big for that, but as he knows more about birds than I do, I kept schtum. Will see how it is in the morning, left it some scrambled egg for it tea

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
            Thanks for that. OH said it was a baby blue tit, I thought it was much to big for that, but as he knows more about birds than I do, I kept schtum. Will see how it is in the morning, left it some scrambled egg for it tea
            How is the little chap?

What colour is it? The markings will be apparent even on a young bird.
            This chart will help you identify what species he is
            http://www.wildlife-rescue.org.uk/PD...on%20Guide.pdf
            Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
            Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

I once baby sat a seagull chick that had fallen out of its nest and fishy cat food was recommended by the rspb. I don't know whether that would apply to all types of bird but Sidney loved it and found his wings after about ten days. Hope little bird is ok

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Ah I see him now. Did he eat any scrambled egg? He looks quite grown up, hopefully he'll make it. Let us know.

Comment

Made the scrambled egg for him at midnight and tucked him up in the cold frame, with some water, he was still there this morning, and seemed fine, hopping about the place. Had to put netting and all sorts over the cold frame to keep my 3 cats away, spent all day standing guard over him, He seems fine, I think his mum has sat on the tree all day calling for him

He has now escaped from the cold frame and is loose in the garden. Have locked the cats indoors, hope he finds his mum OK.
                  Wish I could have done more for him.

He had yellow flashes on his wings, will look it up. OH is still convinced he is a baby blue tit.

Comment

Baby blue tits look just like adult blue tits only yellower.

I'm sure his mum will find him and look after him You gave him a second chance, can't do much more than that.

Comment

I've decided that birds are tougher than we think. A couple of weeks ago two birds(possibly youngsters as low flying) flew out in front of my car and one of them didn't seem to clear it. I crossed my fingers and hoped I'd missed it. When we got home Himself informed me that said bird was stuck in the grill of the car.

I was horrified. I was even more horrified when the little thing blinked at me. Thinking it would be horribly injured and not knowing how I was going to get it out without hurting it even more, I stressed for about five minutes before plucking up the courage to attempt extraction. I managed to plop him out with a garden cane quite easily. He fluttered and landed on his feet, then fluttered off on to the grass verge.

I was surprised but still assumed the worst, so went to cover him up with some grass. He didn't appreciate this and flew off up to the tree on our front garden. At the time I thought he looked a bit winged as his flying wasn't amazing but then it occurred to me that he was quite clearly a young un still learning. I checked the tree later and he was long gone. Off to buy a t shirt saying 'I survived being grilled' probably. I'm still traumatized however.

Comment

Thats amazing, been out hunting with a torch, no sign of him hope he found his mum

Comment

I reckon he'll be fine, good on you for looking after him.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X