• Show
Clear All

• Wildlife pond

When is the best time to built a wildlife pond

About 9:18 am usually.

Comment

Whenever you have the time to do it.

Comment

In our case - when the man with the digger was free.

It was May btw and the pond looks like it has always been there. We had the benefit of non-stop rain in May/June so it filled quite easily from the water butts.
        Last edited by PyreneesPlot; 16-09-2013, 08:32 AM. Reason: sp
        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sooner rather than later.

Comment

Hello Darrell and Welcome.
            My Answer to your question - Today, not tomorrow but today - because the sooner you have a pond, the sooner you'll attract wildlife

Comment

As you can see from the replies above: any time is a good time.

I'll be putting one on the lotty this month, now that I finally have the time to be doing such jobs (after a summer of hectic sewing, sowing, weeding, watering)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I dug a wildlife pond beside my raised borders. This year I hardly had any slug damage, I don't know why that was, but I'm hoping the frogs were eating the slugs...perhaps eating them before the slugs had a chance to grow too big. I hope that's the case anyway.
                The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Originally posted by Verinda View Post
                  This year I hardly had any slug damage
                  There was a general lack of slugs & snails this year, it was too hot & dry for them. Expect to see more now that it's getting cooler & damper
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh, pity I hoped it was the frogs!
                    The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Probably not in the middle of winter as the ground will be frozen and you could break your spade, but any other time is fine. Don't forget - as BIG and DEEP as you can make it - with sloping sides / shelves and ramps for the unfortunates who will inevitably fall in (and I am not counting the numerous cats and chickens here, they can get out by themselves). As soon as it is done wildlife will appear. So enjoy.
                      The cats' valet.

Comment

We never had snails until my parents pulled the pond out. A situation I'm currently rectifying with a series of smaller ponds.

Planning to introduce lots of places for them to hide and hopefully Toads, Frogs & Newts.
                        Last edited by Inastate; 21-09-2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X